n+1, this time a steel one.

PS talking about bigger tyres, what would be general consensus on the minimum clearance between the guard and the tyre for a 32mm gravelking?

[Almost] 1k miles check-in.

Loving the bike. Handles well enough with the panniers - just about enough heel clearance with large bags and no issues with steering or stopping power when loaded. Handling without the panniers is great. A very comfortable, smooth ride. The extra low bottom bracket is very comfortable, albeit I've struck the pedals on the road a few times before I got used to it.

The seat tube cf sleeve is still there and looking like it's going to last for many miles to come.

Professional powdercoat stood up to a few knocks and the tough life of a commuter bike locked to steel bike racks.

Generally, I am sold on the idea of retromodding an old frameset with modern components. You get the best of all worlds imho.

Only a few tweaks that I needed to make. One was to install proper stepped ferrules into the retro cable stops. The other was a bit more exciting.

After riding in very heavy rain on a Tuesday one week, I've parked the bike in the shed and took it out the following Saturday to swap the bottom bracket spacer (originally used a plastic one that I had lying around, but then replaced with a spare alloy spacer used for spacing out the shimmy freehub. Discovered about half a shotglass of water still splashing inside the tubes, mainly in the chainstays. I've cavity-waxed the frameset, so hopefully, not too much rust damage caused by this water intake, but I was shocked to still see so much water after the bike's been standing in the shed for 4 days.
Turned the frame upside down and drilled a hole in the bottom bracket shell, so hopefully most of the water will be dripping out of the tubing now.

I think the bike can really do with a stainless spokes & polished alloy deep section rims wheelset, but for the foreseeable future I'll be running the cheapo miche wheels on it due to budget constraints.

PXL_20220906_185126236.jpg

Back