Modern groupset on a Retro frame - anyone done it

Re:

Love the Keith Coppell and the Jack Taylor on page 1.
I'm planning a neo-retro bike myself a couple of projects down the line. I've got an old Claude Butler frame for 27" wheels.
Not being a fan of long drop brakes, I was wondering, does anyone know if there is a choice of Aero rims in 27"?
I have seen some Exal ones on ebay, but I don't know if they are any good.

Bruce

i helped someone build a 6mth old claudbutler frame up using 70s / 80s campag that was fun, i will ask the chap for a few picks, he had polished every part of the bike and smoothed all welds etc

To get a good 27" that are made today you will have to set up your rim factory and start making them. The couple of 27" rims I have used have all been horrid to build with i.e flexible making stress reliving very time consuming.

Re:

Here's my contribution, a 1986 Colnago Master built with Ultegra 6800. Love the ride of steel with the convenience of modern shifting/braking and the feel of aero wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 1,501
I've got an ultegra 11 groupset on a late 90s 853 raleigh......... not quite as extreme, but it rides nicely.

Only problem is the front mech braze on is positioned for something like a 52 (minimum) chainring. I don't have the legs for anything that big these days, so the front shifting is good, but not perfect (got a compact on there now)

Need to get fit so i can stick a 53/39 and 12/23 back on it :) :)

Re:

Funny, I had the opposite experience :LOL:

The braze-on didn't fit the increased diameter of an oval Rotor 52 ring so I had to go compact (not that I'm super fit, it's just very flat where I live!)

Back