Mercian Olympique 1966 (finished pics now)

Re: Mercian Olympique 1966

Picked up the front wheel this week, built up with a NOS Normandy large flange

Frame and forks are ready except for the lug lining in gold

Re:

Damn, that's going to look so fine. Have you tried 27 x 1 Panaracer Paselas? I got mine off the ebay from a bike shop in Minnesota - they arrived in three or four days. They are excellent quality, have an aramid puncture protection layer and are much skinnier than your average 27 x 1 1/4 tyre.

Cheers, it's from cans but nice (lots of coats), just won't be as tough but this will have an easy life anyway.

I found some but the postage alone was about £28 for the pair! So probably try the 1 1/4 for now. There are some 27x1 something on ebay.co.uk but they are white wall and I really wanted gum

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cockpit ready to go on

GB Hiduminium Stem
GB Maes Bars
GB Super hood plus levers + NOS hoods
Mansfield Cage and random NOS bottle

Cheers, should be able to build it end of next week I think.

Robbied196, Have ordered one of them pens and some gold paint pens for a play about before I try it on the frame. The lugs are quite tricky looking! Atleast gold on brown should be a little forgiving I hope

restlessnative":2tck00qo said:
Cheers, should be able to build it end of next week I think.

Robbied196, Have ordered one of them pens and some gold paint pens for a play about before I try it on the frame. The lugs are quite tricky looking! Atleast gold on brown should be a little forgiving I hope

It might take 2 coats to get a good gold and its worth leaving the lid off the paint for a few hours so it thickens up :)

All finished I think, took it for a 36 mile spin at the weekend and it's just lovely to ride :) It's my first old bike so very pleased with it.

Frame/Fork: Mercian Olympique 1966, Reynolds 531 I believe

Headset: Tange
Stem: GB Spearpoint
Handlebar: GB Maes

Brake Levers: GB Superhood plus with generic hoods
Brake Calipers: GB Hiduminium
Brake Pads: Koolstop Continental

Cranks: Stronglight 49
Chainrings: TA 45
Sprocket: 22
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN54 cartridge
Pedals: Lyotard 460D / Lapize toeclips & straps