Depaint project | 1988 Stumpjumper

That’s what I assumed. But it stands out like an er, stolen bike then. 😆
Indeed it does! 🤣 I guess if you owned it, you would have taken more care if you wanted to disguise it's value! I did "tape up" one of my MTB's that I used a commuter and many years later when I wanted to remove the tape it ripped off tons of lacquer when I tried to remove :(

Found a wee window of time to make a start on the brakes and chainset today.

IMG_8276.jpeg
The M730 crank arms didn’t take much to get clean and will polish up nicely.

IMG_8395.jpeg

Pleasingly, after 15 minutes / 65°C in the ultrasonic cleaner the paint on the chainrings just peeled off.

IMG_8385.jpeg
Chainring are in pretty good condition, just a shame they’re Biopace.

I’d been looking forward to cleaning up the brakes, they looked like they might be decent order under the dirt and paint.

IMG_8380.jpeg

The front cantis were all original and complete including XT pads with not too much wear.

IMG_8383.jpeg
A good clean and polish brought up a lovely set of BR-M730s.
IMG_8389.jpeg

The U-brake was pretty crusty but I was hopeful it would clean up just as well as the canti.

IMG_8387.jpeg
One clean arm next to a yet-to-be-cleaned arm. The paint and dirt came off fairly easily.

IMG_8394.jpeg
A few light scratches but in good condition for their age/position. Only the brake pads are non-original, everything else is there and working.

Attachments

• IMG_8384.jpeg
    IMG_8384.jpeg
    815.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8382.jpeg
    IMG_8382.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Loving the before and after on this thread! Must be very satisfying... It is for me as just an observer!

I thought your ultrasonic cleaned had distorted the inner ring... then I realised it was Biopace! 😜🤣

I do love Biopace. Looks like you’ll be able to save the sticker on the outer ring too! 👌👍💪

Might be a good idea as I'm tired of showering with stiff crusty cranks and a moldy bottom.... bracket....
When I was renting in my early 20s ended up washing loads of bike stuff in the bath & shower!

And then in my mid 30s when staying in a holiday cottage in North Devon had a long shower with a large branch off a tree I found washed up on the beach. Had to take the trap apart as it got completely clogged with sand. Still have that piece of driftwood today! 😍

When I was renting in my early 20s ended up washing loads of bike stuff in the bath & shower!

And then in my mid 30s when staying in a holiday cottage in North Devon had a long shower with a large branch off a tree I found washed up on the beach. Had to take the trap apart as it got completely clogged with sand. Still have that piece of driftwood today! 😍
I see you're no stranger to a big girthy stick in the shower either ;)

Back