Marin tip find

Unlikelybiker

Dirt Disciple
Hi all. Shortly after finding my giant hunter at the local tip shop I found this marin. It's obviously a much nicer bike than the giant in almost every way, just in need of a service and tidy up.
When collected
20221007_150352.jpg
I've given it a full going over, removed all stickers, cleaned up the frame in prep for a good polish, touched up any areas black areas that were scratched and just made it abit fresher. Everything functions as it should now but I think it will be getting new forks soon. When I picked it up some of the stickers had already been removed, including the model name, but I've decoded the frame number as it being a 2011 muirwoods. I've searched it to try and find a pic of how it would've looked When new, but all pics I've seen show frames with all round tubing, this one has a funky triangular/diamond shaped tubing in it 20221008_132521.jpg
This was just a trial of the polishing, I've sanded it again and intend to get it even shinier.
This it how it currently stands 20221025_174451.jpg 20221025_174635.jpg
Not quite finnished yet but happy with how it's going so far, and really like how it rides, definitely a keeper
My question is, can any of you knowledgeable folk positively identify it? Frame number is f611fsd094

From pics of other marins I've seen I'd tend to think it's earlier, but according to the frame number it's 2011, even though the last 2 numbers are 96, and it looks more like a '96 bike.

Hi all. Shortly after finding my giant hunter at the local tip shop I found this marin. It's obviously a much nicer bike than the giant in almost every way, just in need of a service and tidy up.
When collected
View attachment 675124
I've given it a full going over, removed all stickers, cleaned up the frame in prep for a good polish, touched up any areas black areas that were scratched and just made it abit fresher. Everything functions as it should now but I think it will be getting new forks soon. When I picked it up some of the stickers had already been removed, including the model name, but I've decoded the frame number as it being a 2011 muirwoods. I've searched it to try and find a pic of how it would've looked When new, but all pics I've seen show frames with all round tubing, this one has a funky triangular/diamond shaped tubing in it View attachment 675128
This was just a trial of the polishing, I've sanded it again and intend to get it even shinier.
This it how it currently standsView attachment 675129View attachment 675130
Not quite finnished yet but happy with how it's going so far, and really like how it rides, definitely a keeper
My question is, can any of you knowledgeable folk positively identify it? Frame number is f611fsd094
I'm just wondering, the triangular tube is made for what? Maybe according to the designers it increases the stiffening rib? In that case, this bike can be ridden by a pretty heavy person.

hi, Marin has introduced those profiled frames in 1999, called Mega Design Tube Shape,
for both Steel
View attachment 676240
and Aluminum
View attachment 676241
That's cool cheers, i never expected to see info like that. Helps me understand what a nice bike I've got. The top tube is different to the bottom tube. The bottom one is almost egg shaped as shown on the ad, the top one is more angular. Interesting to see its done for strength, I'm doing it to loose weight ( as well as many other good reasons) so at least their efforts arnt going to waste 😆
I received my new grips today, sram foams to replace the original uncomfortably grippy rock hard rubber ones. 1000% better. And I made some bespoke hand cut vinyls. If I took more time with a new blade I'd probably do a better job, but probably just buy some instead 20221031_212143.jpg

You've spelt Marrin wrong.

🤣

I think, looking at it, it's around 2001 but i can't put my grubby mits on why. I worked in a marin dealership around that time and remember working on similar although I remember rst forks. Can't remember which sithole American Town it was named after right now.

Back