Cinder Cone find.

SeadogMatt

Retro Newbie
Morning Everyone!

First time posting in a very long time. I'm wondering what to do with a very old Cinder Cone I've come by.

I was at the local tip, well it's got the posh name of Household Waste Recycling Centre. Sensibly, they sell on bikes that are still working. Mostly it's nasty kids BSO's or no-name horrors. However, I spotted a skinny framed red thing with an X-Lite sticker on it. £20.

It's a Cinder Cone, I'm guessing early 90's, P2 forks, Suntour XC LTD deraileurs and shifters (3x7), XC LTD front hub and a rim I can't identify. Rear wheel and crankset are not original. All in all it's in good shape, but the frame and forks need a repaint.

Is it worth trying to bring this back to original spec, purely for the joy of doing this and keeping it?
Or, just get it cleaned up and running well, then have it as the town runabout/pub bike??

It's too nice to see it without the proper rear wheel and crankset. Also, one of the pairs of brake cantilevers are not Suntour, some no-name brand. I'll keep a close eye on the selling threads and try to get the bits I need first, then go for full tidy-up.

I'd certainly try and restore it. It's not cost a lot and it probably won't cost much to return it to original spec either.

Is the paint too far gone for a sympathetic restore or does it need a full paint? Either way, probably worth doing if you want to return it to it's former glory.

Dont forget the wanted section too. Someone no doubt will have them sat around not doing anything.

The paint is pretty good overall. Some scrapes and scratches that have got a bit of surface rust, but nothing bad. Lots of scruffy stickers and decals on it that I don't like though. Decal sets are available for both the frame and the forks. It won't take much to buff it back and respray with rattle can. Not really a fancy enough frame to send it off for a professional respray.

It's too nice to see it without the proper rear wheel and crankset. Also, one of the pairs of brake cantilevers are not Suntour, some no-name brand. I'll keep a close eye on the selling threads and try to get the bits I need first, then go for full tidy-up.

Dia Compe 987s can look quite inconspicuous if the stickers are lost?

Sounds like we need a restoration thread!

Back