Marin Shoreline Trail 1999

Re: SP's Mayhem build thread

Retro Spud":244mwsmx said:
The position of that bottle cage would give me the willies, just the thought of getting my nether regions impaled is enough to make me wince

Yeah, that is going, along with the 'dirt jump' components on the front... Quite a strange contrast to the £10 front tyre and the semi-slick rear.

SP

Attachments

• Marin_AF_3jpg.jpg
    Marin_AF_3jpg.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,288
Re:

A productive trip (or two) has yielded lots of parts, however, do I go 8 speed or 9? Originally it was 8 speed, but M750 was released in 1999 so 9 speed is an option. I have all the bits for 8 speed, but would need a cassette for 9.

I am toying with the idea of an air fork. I could lose a full pound in weight, which would be very beneficial with the pound I intend to save from the bar and stem.

Re:

The tip yielded:

Mavic 717 on STX rear wheel
Mavic 317 in LX front wheel
LX chainset + BB
3 x 8 GripShift
Deore rear mech (modern)
Schwalbe Rocket Ron
Shimano 8 speed cassette
Club Roost risers
Cables
A set of v-brake calipers + pads
Inner tubes
Pedals
3 x 9 Acera Shifters

:D

Spares box:
Fizik saddle
FSA stem
Avid levers
Amberwall tyres

It’ll be sub 30 lbs now.... oh yes

Re:

Right, I've made a decision, I need to prioritise spending. Realistically I'm unlikely to keep this long after Mayhem, so the focus is on a: weight & b: performance. I've therefore decided to only use my tip / spares box parts rather than hunting for 1998/1999 components. The shadow rear mech though, bugs me...... not right.

I've had a quick spin around on it, the rear end is really plush but the front is too stiff. I've stripped, cleaned and greased all the fork bushings and seals and backed off the preload all the way. I also reduced the travel as it felt like a chopper - it is now 80 mm up front. I'm looking for a Judy, SID or Fox F80 with a >200 mm steerer. I have a few weeks :shock:

I sold the front Magura brake and original rear mech which netted me £19 back. I spent about tenner at the tip, so all in is about £20. I'll fit the tip tyres when I sell it, but I wanted the amberwall look.

Weight is now 29. 4 lbs, which I'm very pleased with :) I should lose about another pound by changing the fork.

SP

Attachments

• S4.jpg
    S4.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,186
  • S3.jpg
    S3.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,185
  • S2.jpg
    S2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,187
  • S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,186
Re: SP's Mayhem build thread

I wish my tip would allow buying of bits off of thrown bikes.....

Re:

Normally you have to buy the whole bike. However, fairly frequently loose wheels come in and framesets with parts. I've been buying anything half decent and stashing for spares.

SP

Re:

Well, I’ve done some miles on it, the middle chainring is shot and I don’t like the forks!

I’ve just bought a NOS chainring and am hunting for forks - not long to go!

Re:

NOS Race Face ring went on today - it cost half the price of the bike :LOL:

I’ve been outbid on quite a few forks, I am aware time is ticking....

Re:

NOS Race Face ring went on today - it cost half the price of the bike :LOL:

I’ve been outbid on quite a few forks, I am aware time is ticking....

Back