Marin East Peak, help with year please

Finally all done,
I stripped and polished the frame then looked at any parts I had lying around so,
RST mozo front forks, OCR comp front rim with Rhino lite rear, Shimano hubs on both. Club roost handlebars with a Marin lite water bottle cage to top it off.
I also changed to a fixed front cog.

It rides really well.

Attachments

• IMG_20221219_154521_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221219_154521_HDR.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20221219_154532_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221219_154532_HDR.jpg
    806.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20221219_154538_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221219_154538_HDR.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 25
Hi Thanks,
I will get a better pic when the light is better. The shock is what came with it. Get Xmas out of the way and I will be looking to upgrade it. It works well for me at the moment though so may end up spending money on the 93 Eldridge Grade That I have not started yet.

Any idea where I could get decent double butted spokes from? The Eldridge Grade has a few missing. Also, I may be being ambitious but I managed to get a Mavic 230 TIB rim and was planning to build a new rear wheel for the 94 Team Marin I have. The front is ok but the back rim had been replaced, the hub is original and I know it originally had double butted spokes.

I'd guess 2000, I think they went to monocoque frames in 2001.

They're great bikes, I love my Mount Vision for cross country rides. Personally I think they ride better with an air shock rather than coil, but that's down to personal taste.
Hi,
Your picture was so good I have been on the lookout for one of these. I managed to find a frame and forks last month so am just getting the parts together to build one. Am I correct in thinking that it would have M739 kit on it?

Hi,
Your picture was so good I have been on the lookout for one of these. I managed to find a frame and forks last month so am just getting the parts together to build one. Am I correct in thinking that it would have M739 kit on it?
Not sure on OEM spec tbh. I think some used Marin own brand "ovation" stuff. There were loads of models to fit varying price points, all with the same frame.

Personally I'm pretty relaxed about non catalogue builds as long as they look good and ride even better, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask lol.

I would say I've found these frames ride best with a fork of 465mm axle to crown or less, as they have a very high BB to begin with. Other than that it's all good!

Not sure on OEM spec tbh. I think some used Marin own brand "ovation" stuff. There were loads of models to fit varying price points, all with the same frame.

Personally I'm pretty relaxed about non catalogue builds as long as they look good and ride even better, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask lol.

I would say I've found these frames ride best with a fork of 465mm axle to crown or less, as they have a very high BB to begin with. Other than that it's all good!
Hi,
It has the original Manitou forks which seem ok, they are elastomer style with oil damping. I will replace the elastomers and see how it goes. It came with a White Industries crank so probably keep that and go with M739 gears and breaks, what do you think?

Ooh, the white industries cranksets are nice, I'd definitely keep that.

Some of the OEM manitou forks were pretty good - I like the feel of the "TPC" damped ones. More importantly, the axle to crown length is a great match for the frame.

M739 gears/brakes sounds like a good shout. Another thing to think about (if you're intending to ride it in anger on muddy trails) is sourcing an adapter to run disc brakes front and rear. If you're a fair weather rider, then the vee's should be fine (and do look nice on a period correct build).

Probably not too muddy, much more of an old railway track/towpath rider nowadays. Injuries take too long to heal!

The forks are the original white Manitou FS bulge that seem to be in pretty good condition. I have a Ritchey wcs white saddle that I think will work and will look at matching it with a stem and handlebars. The rear suspension is a fox vanilla that also seems to be functioning fine.

I am quite looking forward to getting all the parts together and getting on with this. Just a 93 Indian Fire Trail to complete first!

Back