2000 Marin East Peak build

That looks awesome, love it! How does it ride?

Looks like nice scenery too, where abouts did you go? I reckon on moorland cross country type rides, they totally hold their own against modern bikes.
It rides really well. I didn’t know what to expect but I assumed it would be a lot less efficient than a hard tail although it’s not quite as efficient it’s certainly not slow. Infact I bet over a long ride it could be quicker being a lot less tiring with the suspension soaking up the bumps instead of the rider.
I was impressed overall and would have done more miles if it weren’t for the idiot that forgot to tighten up the cassette lock ring!!!!!! Oh well I was rushing to get out on it and it was just a frame and fork this morning.
The ride was in the black hambleton hills near Sutton bank/north Yorkshire moors. 100mph winds (felt like) and rain, just how I like it lol.

Just had a look on Strava and got some PR’s, one was a long steep rocky downhill section. Considering some numpty left the cassette loose that is pretty good considering the weather conditions and first time out on it yay 🥳

I've got u turn rebas on mine, so have played around with different travel lengths a lot. I like mine best at 85mm travel, which is about 465mm axle to crown fork height. Any higher I feel lifts the BB to the point where it negatively impacts handling. If I could get a decent 100mm travel fork with 465mm height, that'd be perfect.

One of the strengths I find on these bikes is that they pedal amazingly well over rough ground (thanks partly to the high BB meaning you can keep on cranking without worrying about pedal strikes as much as on a lower slung frame). Any routes with a lot of long rocky stretches, I'm definitely faster on the Mount Vision compared to my (otherwise generally slightly more capable) hardtail.

Although I find they feel a little precarious and less intuitive compared to a modern full sus bike on the down hill stuff, putting it against the clock I was surprised to find there's really not much in it at all on rough descents. Just one or two more "oh shit" moments 😂

I've got u turn rebas on mine, so have played around with different travel lengths a lot. I like mine best at 85mm travel, which is about 465mm axle to crown fork height. Any higher I feel lifts the BB to the point where it negatively impacts handling. If I could get a decent 100mm travel fork with 465mm height, that'd be perfect.

One of the strengths I find on these bikes is that they pedal amazingly well over rough ground (thanks partly to the high BB meaning you can keep on cranking without worrying about pedal strikes as much as on a lower slung frame). Any routes with a lot of long rocky stretches, I'm definitely faster on the Mount Vision compared to my (otherwise generally slightly more capable) hardtail.

Although I find they feel a little precarious and less intuitive compared to a modern full sus bike on the down hill stuff, putting it against the clock I was surprised to find there's really not much in it at all on rough descents. Just one or two more "oh shit" moments 😂
Thanks for sharing your experience. Is the east peak the same frame? It does look the same however it has a 27.2 seat post …

Looks great👍 I see you fitted a disc to your Marzocchi fork, was it a straight fit? I see an adapter on there?
I've some Z3's and wouldn't mind fitting a disc at some point.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Is the east peak the same frame? It does look the same however it has a 27.2 seat post …

Hmm, that's odd, I always thought the various full sus models shared the same frame, but mine is definitely a 30.0mm seat post, as are a couple of others I've come across.

The lower end Shoreline Trail came with a steel swing arm, but again I always thought the front triangle was identical to the mount vision - but if yours has a different diameter seat tube, perhaps not?

There must be some experts on here who've got the answer!

Looks great👍 I see you fitted a disc to your Marzocchi fork, was it a straight fit? I see an adapter on there?
I've some Z3's and wouldn't mind fitting a disc at some point.
Cheers. The Bombers on it have a standard IS mount with 51mm centres which seems to be the standard settled on at around ‘97-‘98 ish and still used to this day. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than I will correct me on that if I’m wrong. The adapter you can see is to allow for a post mount caliper which was the standard that a lot adopted in around ‘04 ish… Some Marzocchi forks I have seen have had a different two bolt fitting, I could be wrong but I think they are 48mm centres. You can get an adapter for them still, I believe Dr.Zocchi on here sells them or you could make one.

Last edited:
Cheers. The Bombers on it have a standard IS mount with 51mm centres which seems to be the standard settled on at around ‘97-‘98 ish and still used to this day. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than I will correct me on that if I’m wrong. The adapter you can see is to allow for a post mount caliper which was the standard that a lot adopted in around ‘04 ish… Some Marzocchi forks I have seen have had a different two bolt fitting, I could be wrong but I think they are 48mm centres. You can get an adapter for them still, I believe Dr.Zocchi on here sells them.
97 there was a mount specific to formula on marzocchi forks. You cam get z3 with that mount too. No an issue for you though. Yey.

Hmm, that's odd, I always thought the various full sus models shared the same frame, but mine is definitely a 30.0mm seat post, as are a couple of others I've come across.

The lower end Shoreline Trail came with a steel swing arm, but again I always thought the front triangle was identical to the mount vision - but if yours has a different diameter seat tube, perhaps not?

There must be some experts on here who've got the answer!
Would be interesting to know….

Back