Marin East Peak, help with year please

Hezza

Devout Dirtbag
Hi,
Just picked this up yesterday from a chap who had it as a project and not enough time to complete it. He said it was a Marin East Peak. My belief is that there has been quite a few changes made. Based on pics I have seen online I think it is either a 2000 or 2001.

It does have a 3x9 drive train, Deore shifters and rear derailleur. Front derailleur is an Acera. Front forks are SR Suntour XCC with a spring rear shock. Wheels are Ritchie rims laced to Shimano hubs.

The problem I have is twofold. Firstly I know nothing about these bikes and what to look for in them. Secondly I know even less about dual suspension. I initially was interested in the parts as the bike only cost £40 but am now looking at it as a bit of a project. As ever any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20221007_094409_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221007_094409_HDR.jpg
    636.5 KB · Views: 31
I'd guess 2000, I think they went to monocoque frames in 2001.

They're great bikes, I love my Mount Vision for cross country rides. Personally I think they ride better with an air shock rather than coil, but that's down to personal taste.

Attachments

• 20220411_174432.jpg
    20220411_174432.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 19
I'd guess 2000, I think they went to monocoque frames in 2001.

They're great bikes, I love my Mount Vision for cross country rides. Personally I think they ride better with an air shock rather than coil, but that's down to personal taste.
Thanks for this, liking the look of your mount vision. I have just finished a 2004 Team Marin and was thinking of another project, I think I have just found it!

Get it up and running and see how you like it.
Give the rear shock some thought first and the front forks too. If you dont get any strange creaky noises or clunks from the shocks topping out etc...
Then stick with it. End of the day, it needs to be a good experience to ride.
The brakes and gearing seems adequate.
If you are mid 40's like me, you'll need it soon!

Get it up and running and see how you like it.
Give the rear shock some thought first and the front forks too. If you dont get any strange creaky noises or clunks from the shocks topping out etc...
Then stick with it. End of the day, it needs to be a good experience to ride.
The brakes and gearing seems adequate.
If you are mid 40's like me, you'll need it soon!
Mid 40's was a few years ago😄 I have a set of RST mozo comp front forks doing nothing at the moment, what are your thoughts on putting these on?

I had RST Mozo Pros on a similar era Shoreline Trail FRS a few years back and they were a great match for the frame.

I've got some Rockshox rebas on my Mount Vision, but in all honesty although they're a better fork they are a tad too long for the frame and make the bike a bit of a handful on super steep climbs. I've dropped them to 85mm travel and that works pretty well.

Unfortunately all modern 100mm+ forks seem to be at least 480mm axle to crown, I think the original manitou fork was more like 440mm and I've found anything more than 460mm starts raising the front end and BB too much.

I had RST Mozo Pros on a similar era Shoreline Trail FRS a few years back and they were a great match for the frame.

I've got some Rockshox rebas on my Mount Vision, but in all honesty although they're a better fork they are a tad too long for the frame and make the bike a bit of a handful on super steep climbs. I've dropped them to 85mm travel and that works pretty well.

Unfortunately all modern 100mm+ forks seem to be at least 480mm axle to crown, I think the original manitou fork was more like 440mm and I've found anything more than 460mm starts raising the front end and BB too much.
Thanks for the advice, I was waiting for a suitable frame for them and it sounds like this is the one. I have ordered a replacement front derailleur as the one that came with it was a top feed so it will have a Deore upgrade to match the shifters. Also it came with tektro breaks, what are your thoughts on upgrading to Deore?

I've got Deore hydraulic discs on my mount vision and they're certainly very nice.

The tektros will probably be fine too though tbh, I've had auriga comps in the past and found them perfectly good. You'll need to get a disc mount for the swing arm first.

I've got Deore hydraulic discs on my mount vision and they're certainly very nice.

The tektros will probably be fine too though tbh, I've had auriga comps in the past and found them perfectly good. You'll need to get a disc mount for the swing arm first.
Hi,
I understand that the adaptor plate for the disc breaks is quite difficult to get hold of. I just have the frame striped down to regressed the pivots and hope to reassemble over the weekend. I am really looking forward to getting out on it.

A little part of me fancies stripping the paint off to polish the aluminium up, the pragmatic part says it is too hard pile!

I got mine from a chap on here, I'll see if I can dig out his contact details if you like. It did require a bit of filling to get it to fit just right, which was a faff, but worth it to run decent brakes IMO.

The lacquer on my frame was shot so I wet sanded it back and gave the aluminium a rough polish (didn't want a mirror shine). Again, it was a fair bit of effort, but worth it to restore a good finish on the frame.

Half the fun with these bikes is making them just how you want them!

Back