2000 Marin East Peak build

Lostcause

Retro Guru
Ive never owned a full suspension bike but after riding a friends modern one I was secretly impressed. I did a bit of reading and several bikes made the possibles list but had to be 26er and retro , a specialized fsr, Kona sex, or a Marin would be ideal. I really do like disc brakes so that was also a consideration. A Marin East Peak turned up on eBay with a starting bid of 35 quid, I placed a bid then got on with xmas and kind of forgot about it until a notification telling me I'd won.
Ebay images and inability to crop shown below,
94973A13-8F6D-4B41-99DE-66371F5BD9FF_1_102_o.jpeg 4904DE5F-1063-4E45-9D9A-F7599F1E7A86_1_102_o.jpeg 2033BD8C-6670-447F-B747-82BBDBD8A67D_1_102_o.jpeg E

After reading hawkhill97's 2000 mount vision build I felt inspired to do a bit so I made a rear disc bracket out of a bit of 6mm alloy plate from the skip at work. A good hour of drilling, sawing, tapping and filing and a that's good enough for now attitude resulted in this. I can always prettify it later if I like the bike. tempImage1mQMzk.png tempImageKbS1W0.png tempImage90I0v6.png tempImagezgyte4.png

Last edited:
Great work!

From the nice brake rotor and XT qr skewer, I'm now really looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!
Thank you 🙏

It won’t be too pretty for now, I just want to get it rideable with parts I have in the shed. So terrible colour clashes and a Heinz 57 groupset possibly from different decades are the order of the day.

Nice work on the disc brake adapter 👍 these frames ride really nicely considering they're over 20 years old now!

PS: what's with the Klein frame in the background?

Nice work on the disc brake adapter 👍 these frames ride really nicely considering they're over 20 years old now!

PS: what's with the Klein frame in the background?
Thanks 👍
Those photos were taken from eBay, I’m guessing he buys cheap complete bikes and strips them.

That looks awesome, love it! How does it ride?

Looks like nice scenery too, where abouts did you go? I reckon on moorland cross country type rides, they totally hold their own against modern bikes.

Back