2000 Marin East Peak build

I decided I couldn’t have a Specialized stem on a Marin, it just seems wrong and after finding my old silver Thomson x2 I had on a fixed gear bike I thought I’d try it out. Looks better to me so I thought I might as well put my Thomson bars on that I’ve had stashed away waiting for the right bike.
While I had the shifters off I thought I’d take the gear indicators off to get some oil in there and I must be the only person to not know you can replace them with a supplied cover!! How cool is that, I have owned these from new and never realised. IMG_4830.jpeg IMG_4831.jpeg IMG_4832.jpeg IMG_4833.jpeg IMG_4835.jpeg

The front mech was temperamental and rusty so a matching xt m770 was found and fitted along with some different forks. 2001 Marzocchi Bombers , I was hoping they were 100mm but they’re 85mm which will probably be ok.

How's the ride?
Hi matey, it’s not bad at all. It’s definitely slower than a rigid or hard tail on anything other than unpleasantly bumpy lol but i found it great on rough terrain. I don’t have any full suspension experience so perhaps it’s worse than a cheap supermarket bike or it could be superb lol The brakes are fantastic, you can just pick a bush or gatepost you want to stop at and no matter how fast you’re going you can stop exactly where you want. They are great. Not retro in any way but I have some Hope minis from 2001 so I might fit those if I gel with this bike. They have similar power and modulation but look way better in my rose tinted view.
I’ve not tried it with the newer forks yet and I suspect they will need a service which is probably good practice anyway but I’ll report back when the weather improves…

Last edited:
The front mech was temperamental and rusty so a matching xt m770 was found and fitted along with some different forks. 2001 Marzocchi Bombers , I was hoping they were 100mm but they’re 85mm which will
which forks?
Marzocchi bomber was the range, they did z1 through z5 in 2001. 80mm being available on Z2 and down, but all were available in 100mm variant and some were changeable.

Back