Magura Oil question - Citroen hydraluic

Thanks for the very informative and funny suggestions!

I've done some digging and it looks like:

Propylene Glycol Industrial Grade (PGI) is an excellent choice for the production of polyglycols for use in hydraulic and brake systems to provide lubricity and anti-freezing protection, and to help reduce swelling of rubber parts.

and £2.50 for a litre! I'm gonna give it a bash in by Magura Blue's

From what I've read it should be fine. It lubricates and prevents swelling. Thinking I may do a distilled water and PG mix and run it for a year.

60/40 water/PG

And LHM was tested with brakes. Hot brakes. ;)
Why bother? Use LHM and thats it. I have used it for years and I am haveing no issues. At all. In the first years of Magura hydrostops they even recomended the use of LHM in their manual.

VaNDAL_UK":2x6bvbtu said:
It lubricates and prevents swelling.
Hmmmm, in what material? Most seals are somewhat fussy about what they are used to seal. It's not like all seals are the same (see the nasty effects of mixing DOT rated seals with mineral oil or vice versa).

You might end up with swelling, or shrinkage, or hardening, or just disintegrating......

And what he said ^^^^ LHM is hardly expensive.

VaNDAL_UK":nfwvqjpy said:
From what I've read it should be fine. It lubricates and prevents swelling. Thinking I may do a distilled water and PG mix and run it for a year.

60/40 water/PG

The above might seem OK until you factor in this,

Thias":nfwvqjpy said:
And LHM was tested with brakes. Hot brakes. ;)
Why bother? Use LHM and thats it. I have used it for years and I am haveing no issues. At all. In the first years of Magura hydrostops they even recomended the use of LHM in their manual.

All brake fluids, whatever they are, are designed to cope with high temperatures and not to boil at those temperatures causing gases which result in brake failure.

You are proposing to use water as a brake fluid :shock: , which boils at 100C, way, way below what proper brake fluids do.
It's your choice of course but try touching your brakes after a downhill where you are braking hard, frequently. They'll be feckin hot.
Do you really want to risk the water turning to steam just when you need your brakes the most?

Back