Magura Oil question - Citroen hydraluic

Don't some of the magura models get a bit fussy about not using the genuine stuff?

I've heard rumours of one the alternatives (shimano/LHM) causing problems.

Definitely DoT brake fluid kills Magura seals. Mineral oil is fine though. Citroen LHM is used in parts with rubber seals and should be fine.

IIRC It was one of the mineral oils causing problems. I've been doing this long enough to know that anyone using DOT needs more expensive help than I can be bothered to provide!

Re:

Don't use water, there is no benefit other than you can fill in a bath, but a bleed is easy enough even if you have the piston bolt still in, just pump and use gravity at that point. But a normal bleed is simples.

Have the Trim wound out fully and clean and lube all the pistons while you are it it.

Water expands the piston and jams, slows down the return and generally fucks them up for someone who wants to use them afterwards. A lazy piston may be fine on trials bikes but on mtbs in the winter is a bloody annoyance. Remember the pads are inky a mm away from the rims.

Why mess them up for what is the cost of a set of brake blocks.

Yes blood oil is overpriced. 250ml for 15quid. Makes fork oil seem super cheap.

Sorry to dig up an old thread. Do you think a mix of water and isopropyl alcohol would be ok as a permanent solution to bleeding Maguras (to stop freezing)?

Or since I vape maybe:

VG (vegetable glycerin) or PG (propylene glycol)

Sounds crazy but as a teenager I ran olive oil in my Magura rim brakes, worked perfectly from what I remember :)

VaNDAL_UK":18fqedl2 said:
Sorry to dig up an old thread. Do you think a mix of water and isopropyl alcohol would be ok as a permanent solution to bleeding Maguras (to stop freezing)?

Or since I vape maybe:

Why risk it? I've used the LHM for years, and even during the coldest weather, have never had a problem.

VaNDAL_UK":3fwwzgoh said:

Or since I vape maybe:

If you are going to do that, use laphroaig. The peaty oak residues prevent corrosion and if you get caught in an avalanche it will be like having your own st bernard with whisky barrel, just crack open a nipple. :LOL:

TBH, it doesn't generally get cold enough in the UK for LHM/mineral oil to start freezing. It doesn't even get cold enough for the viscosity to cause issues (it'll be a bit thick at -10, but still very useable, from experience the brakes are still usable down to -20).

If you've actually got freezing, rather than the effects of slightly thick oil, you've got water in there somewhere.

And From having a quick squizz on the net, you'll probably need at least a 60% mix of isopropyl to get the low temperature performance as "good" as LHM. Except even a straight 60% mix will start to boil at about 20 degrees. Meaning your brakes will stop working.

FWIW, i run DOT and Mineral systems (Hope and Shimano) down to about -20 degC with no issues except slightly slow piston/lever return. (the ice that forms on the discs is a separate issue......)

Back