Shimano crankset vs BB spindle length database

Titiritero

Retro Guru
Searching in google for the correct spindle length for a crank that came on a used bike I just bought, I came to a random link from a Hungarian online bike shop, that seems to list quite a few Shimano cranksets and their respective spindle. Not sure of its accuracy so first check if it matches what you know from your own cranksets. At least for the M550 and M730 (122.5mm) it matches.

The one I was looking for, FC-M563 (1994 LX), came from a bike with 113mm. This document suggests 110/113mm while Sheldon says 107/113, so I guess close enough.

Link https://ebike.hu/download/61a30a6d4231a30d/
Sheldon database https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

I also attach the document in case the link dies in the future

Attachments

• Shimano cranset vs spindle length.pdf
    179.1 KB · Views: 3
If they cannot get that right then I wouldn't bother.
I actually think that's a document straight from Shimano website some time back.

It is 107 for 47.5 chainline and 113 for 50mm chainline for a 563-IG and the 563 (from 1995, it was th 560 in 1994)
That is from Shimano documents.
And the catlogue
Screenshot_20240202_105618.jpg

For Shimano always use their documents, first from their archive, then our archive or the catalogue/tech stuff from BiTD, they usually have it there
Our Archive probably has better scans for some of these, that's if I've put it up form the catalogues I have.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the Shimano link!! I did not know that they also had technical documents for the older stuff. I usually just google the reference and hope for the best...

That being said, I checked for the FC-AT10 (a 1993 Altus A10 crankset I have) but they only have the exploded views, no info regarding BB spindle...

Wow, thanks for the Shimano link!! I did not know that they also had technical documents for the older stuff. I usually just google the reference and hope for the best...

That being said, I checked for the FC-AT10 (a 1993 Altus A10 crankset I have) but they only have the exploded views, no info regarding BB spindle...
The low end sometimes needs research, they use a low profile arm (not super low arms like LX/XTR that year, and not standard like DX/XT that year.
So use the same setup as the Exage (as mentioned in the 1993 catalogue).
And so you have LL113 and XL118 (47.5/50).

Since you seem well informed in both Shimano specs and bottom brackets, I have a question that I have not found an answer for, not even in the Shimano website. Their newest and now only square taper bottom bracket offering, the BB-UN300, comes for "standard, e-type and chain case" options. All good, but how does that match with Shimano denominations LL, XL, D-NL D-EL...!?

Which one is the "standard"?

Since you seem well informed in both Shimano specs and bottom brackets, I have a question that I have not found an answer for, not even in the Shimano website. Their newest and now only square taper bottom bracket offering, the BB-UN300, comes for "standard, e-type and chain case" options. All good, but how does that match with Shimano denominations LL, XL, D-NL D-EL...!?

Which one is the "standard"?
They are all axle lengths, D-NL being a traditional marking for 122.5, you've seen LL (107/110/113) and XL(115/11:cool:

Standard is for normal bikes.

E-type is for later mid 90s onward if they use an E-type front mech, it mounts on a ring around the bb so need extra space in the shell left for it.
Chain case is probably similar usage but for large chaincover or a cover that is under the BB area. Commuter/town/trike bikes maybe that need to have the space in the mounting cups left for it too.
EType Mech
Screenshot_20240202_194822.jpg

Screenshot_20240202_195529.jpg
A bit more on traditional axle markings, there are obviously more than that and not all are always used (shell width often dropped)

Back