MacRetro Clan Gathering - Sunday 18th May, Drumlanrig

that's unfortunate, hopefully they'll be back up and running soon

in the same vicinity there's Wanlochead goldrush / dempster path / south upland way, some pro's and cons

the meet could be at the

a) Wanlock mining museum, tea, coffee cake etc
b) or on a nice day dispense with facilities and meet further down where menock pass & a height 206 is marked near the centre of the map. here you can observe people panning for gold (or human remains :shock: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... d-27033220)

proper old school riding - landy track and the southern upland waymarked moor ride.

so auchentaggart track across to SUW, then either back down the road or up to Lowther Hill and down the dempster road.

a bit of choice in terms of distances/option for more or less

naturally it's all very pleasant on a nice day, but can be very bleak otherwise

suggestion by gmac123, on Flickr

Sounds pretty good to me G. Make a nice change from Drumlanrig (not that it ever gets boring) - Old school and relatively retro friendly too.

Drum red open at the weekend....

Rik's Bike Shed: Following a meeting with the ranger service most of the red route at Drumlanrig is gonna be open in time for the weekend (by the end of the day hopefully). For those that don't know there has been horrendous windblow and major harvesting operations..

So - I'm heading out early tomorrow with a rake as the closed sections are a wee bit lost in the leaves and pine needles.

If anyone would like to join me then it'll be done aw the quicker and you can head out for a batter round the trails in the warm glow of a well done job...

I'll be heading out at 9:00 from Rik's Bike Shed .

Cheers all n pow'r tae yer pedals

I went to school with a chap who went panning for gold every year at Wanlockhead, apparently they did ok at it usually paying for the holiday.
Been up once myself when in the scouts. Weather was glorious and its how i remember when i think back on it.
Scenery is really nice too and its not too far to get to.

A good choice.
I do remember though that it is quite a rocky strewn area .leftovers from the mining i suppose.

Aye, let's go with Drumlanrig. Update today from Rik...

Aaarighty the red trail is now open and riding super sweet all the way round to the Nith Linns where it is diverted down the road back to the castle.

The Bail Out finish is open completely - so you have quite a few singletrack options.

The Nith Linns (over the road) and into the left has a tree down and a tree hanging, so has been shut. And the last bit of red singletrack down by the river is completely mashed due to the harvesting so it's probably not really worth heading down there (although you could come back up the black climb to the road and follow the tarmac out.

The Hillhead Climb (black route from the road over to the bail out) has many trees down and quite a few hangin over so until the forestry guys have cleared that please stay out.

The trails which are open are riding really sweetly having had a rest over the winter; fast dry and dusty.

So whats cooking in the sheds then ?

Think I'm going to get the rattle can out and breath new colour onto a beat up scaffold pipe late 90's thing I just cant throw out. It really does remind me of my mtb hayday of the V-brake era and I'm even going to go gripshift just like my first decent mtb even though I thought they were gripshit at the time :roll:

Taiwanese copies are so cheap and come with grips, cables and cable outers that its inexpensive enough to give them another go.

Re:

Nothing new for me.
Probably time for the STS annual outing. Will have to clean last years Glentress dust off it first though.

Back