Pentlands (actually bring a) Retro Ride - Aftermath.

firedfromthecircus

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Cleland Fan
Feedback
View
And so it was that on a gloriously sunny day the MacRetro clan had their annual 'Retrobike only'* ride. I had originally offered to organise but life got in the way and thankfully Velo took on the reigns, ably assisted in route choice by ZigZag. So while I had suggested May in the hope that the Pentlands would actually be dry for a change, Velo gets the credit for picking a sunny day 2 months in advance. Quite a trick that!
Six of us were in the carpark at the allotted time to set off up into the Pentland hills in the driest conditions I've seen them in for a long time. There was a great array of fine retro steeds. ZigZag on the nicest Stumpjumper ever (I may be biased ;) ), Clubby on a stealthy Cannondale Delta V, Jimo on his rather bling Orange Prestige, Velo sported an early Monatgue folding MTB badged as a Rudge, DynaCol on a gorgeous Yates D.O.N.K.I.S. N.O.B and me on my Heckler. We set off on the tarmac climb up to Glencorse reservoir and then turned off to climb Maiden's Cleugh. About halfway up we were joined by a panting Boxxer on his GT Zaskar who had arrived a bit late and set off sprinting after us. I'm glad it was him, not me as I would never have been able to catch up. :shock:
Whilst having the customary rest at the top of the hill a couple of other bikers passed us in both directions, one of them a rather large fellow coming up the hill at a fair lick on an electric bike. Cue some discussion on relative merits. Boxxer reckons they will consign normal bikes to the dustbin of history. He's still building up a Yo Eddy though! :LOL:

Off down to Harlaw and Threipmuir reservoirs then at a great rate of knots, kicking up dust all the way. And at the bottom a van selling Ice Cream and Espressos. Obviously another stop was required for the refuel before we set off through some rooty singletrack around the waters edge. More dusty paths followed on the way to Bavelaw Castle and Black Hill. This was the bit that witnessed the first crash of the day. I didn't see it but believe ZigZag took an interesting line at a corner that involved a ditch that caught him out. Damned ditches! :evil:
Then we skirted Black hill until we got to the path leading straight up the side of it. At this point I split from the group and headed back to the carpark, but not before a lovely bit of trail down towards the Howe with two fords to cross. At the first one there was a group picknicking and lots of other walkers so I just had to make a show of it. Straight through at speed and I got a lovely soaking of my whole lower half. On 350 days of the year that would be quite unpleasant in the Pentlands, but today it was great. Another soaking at the second one was just as nice. By the time I had blasted down the road past Loganlea and Glencorse reservoirs I was bone dry. That'll be summer then. :roll:
Hopefully someone will be along to fill in the rest of the ride details, and add some much needed pictures. I took none. :facepalm:

Although my ride was short I really enjoyed it, and great company as usual. Lovely old steeds and sunny weather were just the icing on the cake. Thanks to Velo for organising, Aaron for helping with the route planning and everyone who turned up to ride. :D

*Not strictly enforced, but it is nice to have old blokes on old bikes for a change and remember the roots of the site that brings us together.

Re:

Well I'm not the one to fill in the rest of the story of today's ride as I bowed out only a few climbs (and 1 front pinch flat) after FFTC. I'm keen to know what happened on the rest of the ride though.

Only took a couple of pic's with my phone, which aren't great but will do until others get theirs posted. Looking forward to the next one, hopefully I'll be fit enough to do the whole day.

Attachments

• DY post ride.jpg
    DY post ride.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 1,773
  • Ice cream stop.jpg
    Ice cream stop.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 1,773
  • Blu skies!!.jpg
    Blu skies!!.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,773
I tell you I'll try not to be late again!!

On the plus side I was nicely warmed up for the climbs and was relieved to catch you guys on the first one! Seems my training maybe is paying off after all !!

Like Col I bailed early but the part we did do has reminded me how good the Pentlands can be, certainly more fun that knocking around GT on the same loop every week!

I think my bike was the most pikey there as well with all the others (well maybe velos would be the exception ) being immaculately turned out.

Was good to see a few new faces and I was lucky to stop in time when ZZ decided to inspect be trail a bit more closely than I was expecting (proper OTB!)

Maybe we should extend the retro only thing to GT in June!

Great day out guys. Perfect weather for a G&T at lunch.

Can't really fill in the missing trails, other than we went up a bit more, then a lot down. Velo went further down than the rest of us, sinking half his wheel in the only muddy patch of the entire ride, and had a comedy low speed OTB.
We then skirted the by pass on tracks and trails to the pub stop, for a wee refresher. A bit of road and farm trails took us back to the car park via innuendo-ville.
Was properly spent by the end, but I've a feeling Velo is still riding now, such was his enthusiasm.

Thanks again guys, not long until the annual at Glentress now.

Re:

I'm just back home now...

Just Kidding ;) although it did feel like a long day in the saddle (or out of it on one of the many climbs).
Couldn't have been a better day for riding, Sun was shining down upon riders & bikes (apologies for those blinded by the Bling :LOL: ), some great trails that were perfectly suited to retro bikes too, my first time round there and worth a return visit at some point I think.

Good to meet up with the Macretro guys again, thanks to velo and zigzag for guiding us and also for finding the ditches and sinkholes so we didn't have to :LOL:

Looking forward to the next ride :D

Just in from an evening of culture in Bo'ness. Have some pictures of a very fine day out in the hills.

Well that had a bit of everything... Irate walkers, comedy crashes, snooty riders, espresso and ice-cream, pinch flat, the least obedient dogs in Edinburgh trying to steal our sandwiches and join the ride, Jimo's speedway styling, a pub stop, nachos, flat bread and pints, a brief tarmac interlude and several 'are we there yets?'

Good to see you all again gentlemen - craic was it's usual high-standard, as where the bikes :D

DSC_4027.NEF.jpg

DSC_4033.NEF.jpg

DSC_4038.NEF.jpg

DSC_4039.NEF.jpg

DSC_4050.jpg

DSC_4047.NEF.jpg

DSC_4053.NEF.jpg

DSC_4067.NEF.jpg

DSC_4072.NEF.jpg

DSC_4079.NEF.jpg

DSC_4085.jpg

DSC_4090.NEF.jpg

DSC_4093.jpg

DSC_4097.jpg

DSC_4100.jpg

epicyclo":3ownvdqo said:
That's a particularly fine Rudge. I wish I had one like that. :)

That's a Rudge in the sludge :LOL:

Velo crashed in exactly the same spot he's crashed at before, spooky :shock:
I arrived on the scene just in time to see bike and rider making a perfect slow motion arc over the stationary front wheel, before collapsing in a less than perfect heap :LOL:
Velo took it in incredibly good humour, I believe he found it more amusing than the rest of us! :D

ZigZag, some great pics there, wish I'd bothered my erse to get my phone out and snap a few pics as well. Next time.
I've got some awesome tanlines this morning by the way, that Sun was a lot stronger than I thought!

Looks a grand day guys gutted I missed it. Ended up taking my unfit mate for a trundle round blairadam on fat bike so at least got a ride out.

Re:

Great ride by the looks of it! It's all the better when the Sun shines upon you. Nice photos too :cool:
One of those bikes looks far too small for it's occupant though!

Thanks for sharing lads ;)

Mike

Back