MacRetro Special Event - Drumlanrig May/June ?

Re: MacRetro Special Event

I'm really liking the sound of the Caberston/Inners combo, boxxer. I'd definitely be up for some of that, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

While we want our epics to be 'Shortbread Tin Scotland', there is nothing to stop us organising a Caberston/Inners ride, and if our southern brethren fancy a border raid to join us then all the better. One for the 'rides planning' thread I think.

kaiser":2y0m5z71 said:
The Ken":2y0m5z71 said:
I first rode GT in around 92/3 though,

Really? I've never heard you mention that afore :p

I've got a really nice Kooka stem for sale, are you interested? :p

Caberston is the location of the EBC downhill race I also did in the early 90's :)

So what about a Spring Epic weekend of the backwoods kind and a summer Inners/Caberston weekend. We could promote both to the retrobike massive so all bases were covered. Not bothered if no Englanders etc dont show as it'll still be good for us.

kaiser":mrslyf5e said:
I think a bit of clarification as to the special events premise. I can't speak for DSP but I'd imagine that its just a way of keeping MacRetro in the loop, on the calender, rather than a NS event by another name. I don't think there is any onus on us to put on a ride for the benefit of other area groups. I see it as more to showcase one of our rides, for me thats the classic epic when I look back over the aftermath threads.

I could be entirely wrong of course.

Thought I'd drop in here as my ears were burning.

Klaus has more or less summed up what I was suggesting. I understand and completely respect the decision for MacRetro to opt out of organising a National Series ride this year.
I would however like for MacRetro to still be strongly represented on the RB calendar, hence suggesting an ride (or rides) with 'Special Event' status.
You don't have to be thinking of appealing to Englanders when planning it though, just put on a really good ride for whoever wants to come. You don't need to be showcasing Scotland for us southerners. You already know we're all secretly jealous of what you've got up there anyway...

The NS was never about encouraging long journeys to distant locations, it was meant to be about focusing area groups and encouraging more people to come out and ride. And the key to that is getting more local riders on board.
Think of it more as a promotion of your area group than appealing to the rest of the forum.

I suppose the only stipulation I'd have is to avoid a direct date clash with any of the NS rides that are on the 2014 calendar, so that the opportunity to come along, however unlikely is still there.

Anyway, whatever you decide, please keep me in the looop.

sorry, way behind in the chat..

but agree with the showcase, epic, natural trails sentiments, no trails centres (happy to do them in winter when they play the part of all weather pitches to play on). realise big and epic doesn't work for the all (but not much does work for all), spent much of my rainy week in borders at new year pouring over maps and there's plenty to do down there outwith the trail centres..

no solutions there then :facepalm:

My guide to caberston is taking me for some trail finding in the next few weeks... With enough time to work out some decent routes for a summer weekend...

End of May, begining of June seems clearish in National Calendar and Drumlanrig is a trail centre that lends itself to Retro bikes, we have ridden there for a previous national.
Might be good to have a Retro Only meet there at this time and promote it as our Special Event.

Inners/Caberston does have its merits but is potentially very punishing on old bikes what with the amount of rock involved and the technical aspects.

If this idea meets with aproval from the masses we might nail down a date ?

Back