MacRetro Special Event - Drumlanrig May/June ?

Re: MacRetro Special Event

Innerleithen / Glentress bash

2 whole days around Inners and GT??

Close enough for the English and there is enough there to do 2 loops - Inner XC and Off Piste / gentle DH on the Sat and as much on the Sunday at GT as legs allow

I know it's a bit more sanitised than you guys love but there's plenty for all levels and enough climbing for the sadists and descending for those who prefer that.

Camping is plentiful for BBQ on the Sat evening - I could go on....

There's also new trails on Caberston to be conquered - 20k round the Inners XC, then up to Caberston to run some of those trails

Definitely not GT or Inners, why would anybody travel all the way up to Scotland to ride on a trail centre which looks pretty much the same as the TC on their door step.

I would agree, got to be "natural" trails for me. There's plenty of trails doon in the borders and some excellent riding round my old stomping ground near Hawick. Have been thinking about scoping out something down there to invite everyone to. Was going to get in touch with the Hawick CC to see if we could get them involved too as that's where it all started for me.

I love natural trails and epic Scotland but we did only manage attract 1 from south of the border, we'd just all gone home by time he arrived.

By far our most successful nationals were Glentress, Innerleithen and Drumlanrig.
Even a non national at Kirroughtree attracted good numbers al be it on moderns mostly. I think those should be considered for special events, we go there regularly enough anyway. Personally I'd like Kirroughtree Black again, good camping and facilities, trails are fine for retro other than the rocky drops, only breaks the flow a little.

Not sure why we aren't doing a proper national though. Build and they will come, if they don't no big deal, we just buy less tunnocks.

It doesn't stop us promoting an epic to the masses separately. .

I think a bit of clarification as to the special events premise. I can't speak for DSP but I'd imagine that its just a way of keeping MacRetro in the loop, on the calender, rather than a NS event by another name. I don't think there is any onus on us to put on a ride for the benefit of other area groups. I see it as more to showcase one of our rides, for me thats the classic epic when I look back over the aftermath threads.

I could be entirely wrong of course.

Our special event is as Kaiser says a showcase of what Scotland has to offer.
TK, opinions were sought as to whether we should run a national. The consensus was no because its not a national really if no one from outwith our regional group shows up and its pointless using up one of only six national rides points series slots for 2014 if no ones going to travel for it from outwith the region. Consensus also said we're sick to the back teeth of trail centre rides in southern scotland from a national series point of view, we want to do epics. Further, this is retrobike, old school mtb riding did not involve trail centres because BITD they did not exist !

So now thats established, please submit your ideas for our spring epic in its stickied thread so we can draw up a shortlist, vote on that then commit to the planning and decide if we want to promote this as the MacRetro Classic ride to the rest of the site.

On here we can keep kicking around the idea of what constitutes a classic and when where we'd like to have it if we decide to keep the spring epic to ourselves.

"TK, opinions were sought as to whether we should run a national."

Yeah I guessed that, I was kind of busy in November/December so probably missed it completely, or replied and don't remember at all :)

I first rode GT in around 92/3 though,

The Ken":31bqrmke said:
I first rode GT in around 92/3 though,

Really? I've never heard you mention that afore :p

Only suggested it because I thought we were attempting to attract southern kin to a showcase event

GT features in the Edinburgh Bikes catalogue from 92 so its been there a while.... its not that bad and it caters to all abilities as the meets ive been to there show when we split into different group on the way up and similarly back down....

Caberston is an emerging area, loam is the order of the day with some epic tracks, Inners is well know....

As for epics they are not my cup of tea - I'll go sit in the naughty corner

Back