Laurent Fignon Replica Build up Help Required

Re:

i don't remember fignon using this particular frame in '89 - i'm sure that they were all 753 frames, were they not?

as for the pedals - they were time titan magnesium - i've used them since they came out around that time - can't beat them. :cool:

looking forward to seeing this bike finished and best of luck with that handlebar tape!!

:shock:

ps some great photos here and a good read too . .

http://www.cyclingfans.com/laurent_fignon

Use Del at del@delcalsigns.co.uk for the stickers only trouble is he would need some to copy. But if you can get some cheap ones he can turn them into the high quality ones ur after.

Also I think I am right is saying Raleigh didn't lacquer over any of their stickers.

Re: Re:

rusty bodie":319ur0ez said:
i don't remember fignon using this particular frame in '89 - i'm sure that they were all 753 frames, were they not?

as for the pedals - they were time titan magnesium - i've used them since they came out around that time - can't beat them. :cool:

looking forward to seeing this bike finished and best of luck with that handlebar tape!!

:shock:

ps some great photos here and a good read too . .

http://www.cyclingfans.com/laurent_fignon

hi rusty bodie
No Fignion did't use this frame, I know he won the TOH on a DynoTech. Like I said in the original post I've been told that the XML 100 metal Matrix is quite a rare frame, more so in the road version (there seems to be a few ATB versions about). Much rarer than any SB ones which are very very common & easy to pick up. I'm not a particular fan of Raleigh Bikes. But I am a fan of Laurant Fignon hence the build, plus the fact it came in white as well. The bar tape I already have (not Benotto) but some other modern equivalent. I managed to pick up one NOS Wolber TX 20mm Profile rim yesterday for £40 but still on the look out for another rim NOS or used I don't mind either way.

stringfellow1946":28muz24h said:
No Fignion did't use this frame, I know he won the TOH on a DynoTech. Like I said in the original post I've been told that the XML 100 metal Matrix is quite a rare frame, more so in the road version (there seems to be a few ATB versions about). Much rarer than any SB ones which are very very common & easy to pick up. I'm not a particular fan of Raleigh Bikes. But I am a fan of Laurant Fignon hence the build, plus the fact it came in white as well.

Sounds like as good a reason as any to me. :D

Re:

Well hello, you can never have too many Super U / Castorama replicas on the road. Witness my commute into Rickmansworth yesterday, being hailed by a pedestrian with 'Allez Laurent Fignon'. You have to wear the jersey of course.......

All the advice is good, these people know their stuff!

My three frames are all by Cyfac, my favourite being Jean-Claude Garde's 1989 team frame, unrestored. She's my summer ride, my favourite comment being 'I like what you haven't done with it', from Matt if I remember rightly?

My alteration has been to use SR Road Champion bars to get the deep drop. They aren't square like the ITM team bars, they flare slightly into the drops, but they have that deep drop that I just couldn't find in an ITM bar. You just need to bulk up the clamp area to 25.8mm, a wrap cut from a beer can is ideal.

I'm also on tubs (all day, every day), those rims seem more readily available than clinchers, as well as being a childhood dream.

Your next trick is to get a 135mm stem and then placing your brake levers as far away as possible on the bars for that super long flat back, pushing the saddle way back over your rear mech.

I found that Ciclolinea tape is an inexpensive substitute for Benotto, but good luck with finding anything in white. If you do, let me know!

I have C Record brake outers and rear mechanism outer if you're interested, pm me.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing her finished.

Richie

Re:

I have some spare Castorama decals from Greg at Cyclomondo somewhere - have to say they are superb . Its not a complete set as some were used on my restoration but might be of some use to someone .

bigfatron":g483cbql said:
Well hello, you can never have too many Super U / Castorama replicas on the road. Witness my commute into Rickmansworth yesterday, being hailed by a pedestrian with 'Allez Laurent Fignon'. You have to wear the jersey of course.......

All the advice is good, these people know their stuff!

My three frames are all by Cyfac, my favourite being Jean-Claude Garde's 1989 team frame, unrestored. She's my summer ride, my favourite comment being 'I like what you haven't done with it', from Matt if I remember rightly?

My alteration has been to use SR Road Champion bars to get the deep drop. They aren't square like the ITM team bars, they flare slightly into the drops, but they have that deep drop that I just couldn't find in an ITM bar. You just need to bulk up the clamp area to 25.8mm, a wrap cut from a beer can is ideal.

I'm also on tubs (all day, every day), those rims seem more readily available than clinchers, as well as being a childhood dream.

Your next trick is to get a 135mm stem and then placing your brake levers as far away as possible on the bars for that super long flat back, pushing the saddle way back over your rear mech.

I found that Ciclolinea tape is an inexpensive substitute for Benotto, but good luck with finding anything in white. If you do, let me know!

I have C Record brake outers and rear mechanism outer if you're interested, pm me.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing her finished.

Richie

Hi Richie
thanks for all the advice especially about the Stem, The Wolber 20mm Clincher Rims I've now got hold of a pair NOS £40 each. Mine unfortunately is not a Cyfac Frame. But a Dyno-Tech XML Metal Matrix.
I've still yet to find out much about the frame & if its that rare in a road version?

Chris

Back