Lacing your own wheels ...

Re:

Weigh your DX hubs before you lace them then weigh your old XT hubs when they've been removed.... I think you'll find the DX are lighter. :D

Well it says so in my Bible anyway... The 1993 Marin catalogue :p

Re: Re:

PopsTrippin":1er1sczc said:
Weigh your DX hubs before you lace them then weigh your old XT hubs when they've been removed.... I think you'll find the DX are lighter. :D

Well it says so in my Bible anyway... The 1993 Marin catalogue :p

Yes, but, I don't think that weight quite falls under 'physical dimension' ... does it? I mean, other than a physical property, I always thought that the term 'dimension' referred to the three dimensional size in space of an object; whereas the weight reflects as much on it's density as it does physical dimensions ... ?

Besides - less 'un-sprung' weight, anyway!! :)

ps: when I was talking about "same dimensions", I meant that the spoke lengths and count should be the same for both models.

Soooo ... I disassembled my front wheel (old/shot XT hub/new rims, spokes, nipples) and then built a new one using my NOS hub and all the never ridden on spokes and stuff from the existing one, and although it took a couple tries to get the lacing pattern perfect (so that the valve stem is accessible from both sides), I managed to build myself a pretty much almost perfectly true front wheel ... with spokes that ping evenly with the tap of a finger like a finely tuned fork!!

First one.

Yahoo (pats self on back)!!

Now to tackle the back wheel ...

Re:

back is done and near perfect ... easy/peasy/puddin 'n pie.

very time-consuming work, however.

Re: Re:

captaincosmic":35mle9ry said:
I Think I read somewhere that hub pitting can be eased by degreasing and then using toothpaste as grease substitute for a ride then back to grease again as the toothpaste will reseat the surface.
I haven't tried this but it sounds plausible

Hmmm, i thought the surface was case hardened and that treatment in not thick. Once it has worn away, the softer metal exposed wears very quicky.

Lapping will smooth the surface but it wont last long.

Latest posts

Back