Spoks too long/sticking out after wheel building?!?

Martini-night

Dirt Disciple
Hello, I'm a bit confused here...
My first whell building.
I decided to change my rusty wheel spokes to new stainless steel ones.
- I've bought the exact same spokes length
- used the same wheel+hub(shimano exage)
-also the same lacing pattern(3 cross spoke)

Now after building,the spokes are sticking out a canny bit?
I disassembled the wheell and did it again using a different method and spokes stil sticking out again?
wtf , i don't get it?
I've done everything exactly as the tutorial said and used a different video as well and followed 100% correctly but spokes are still sticking out?
How it's possible?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20231030_171647.jpg
    20231030_171647.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 20231030_171634.jpg
    20231030_171634.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 20231030_171618.jpg
    20231030_171618.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 20231030_171627.jpg
    20231030_171627.jpg
    657.7 KB · Views: 94
Got a picture of it before you changed the spokes? I reckon you've got a different cross pattern to previous.

Got a picture of it before you changed the spokes? I reckon you've got a different cross pattern to previous.
No, i haven't got pic, but i have another bike with the same exage hubs wheels and its the same pattern... also i googled the same whell and retro wheels and all have the 3x pattern.. I'm very very confused here.
What's the pattern has to do with spoke length?

That does seem odd if they were the same length and you've rebuilt using the same pattern.

To save you the hassle of rebuilding, you could use a Dremel with a grinding tool to reduce how much spoke is sticking out.

That does seem odd if they were the same length and you've rebuilt using the same pattern.

To save you the hassle of rebuilding, you could use a Dremel with a grinding tool to reduce how much spoke is sticking out.
Aye i was thinking oh that, you think its a good idea?

Looks like an opportunity to get some butted spokes and aluminum nipples. The weight savings will make you astoundingly fast. No mistakes. Only opportunities to upgrade.

Pattern makes a huge difference to spoke length a 4 cross would travel further than a 3 than a 2.
But If you say they are all 3 cross then there's only 2 things ot could be. You've bought the wrong spoke length or you've laced it wrong.
You've gptnabout 2 threads left on the nipple. Do no grind the spokes back.

Back