truing / lacing a bike wheel advice

drexal77

Dirt Disciple
I have managed to find NOS araya rims for my 1990 MT build and period correct DX hubs (well just the front hub at the moment) but i will need to lace them together and true the wheels, how many of you do this yourself? And can you recommend a cheaper version on the Part tools TS-4.2?

I've heard its a nightmare and can take days just to do one wheel the first time. It's just i have about 6x wheels i would like to true so it might be worth me buying my own stand and trying to lean than paying my local bike shop for each wheel which would probably add up the price of the part tools version.

Any advice would be massively appreciated

Hi, I build all my own wheels on a jig that cost me £5. Best money I’ve spent, saved me a fortune! Once you get the hang of it you can build a wheel in a few hours. I can easily build a set from scratch in a day. If you are totally new to it just watch a few videos on the net. A spoke tension meter is a good addition to the toolkit, gives peace of mind that the wheel is evenly tensioned. Here’s a pic of my kit below

2C48DB74-1731-420F-B8C5-FF495A05164A.jpeg

20 quid stand and a spoke key is all you need and even the 20 quid stand isn't essential.
it isn't as much of a black art as people tell you.

spoke tension gauge is a nice to have toy for those who've been doing it for a while but it really isn't needed.

Hi, I build all my own wheels on a jig that cost me £5. Best money I’ve spent, saved me a fortune! Once you get the hang of it you can build a wheel in a few hours. I can easily build a set from scratch in a day. If you are totally new to it just watch a few videos on the net. A spoke tension meter is a good addition to the toolkit, gives peace of mind that the wheel is evenly tensioned. Here’s a pic of my kit below

View attachment 706899
Thanks so much for replying, and so good to know you don't need the spend £400odd on park tools stand to able to do this. Right going to try buy one of these as building the wheels was the part that i thought might need to ship out, but great to know i might be able to do this whole build myself

20 quid stand and a spoke key is all you need and even the 20 quid stand isn't essential.
it isn't as much of a black art as people tell you.

spoke tension gauge is a nice to have toy for those who've been doing it for a while but it really isn't needed.
Thanks Novocaine, good to know because yes heard a lot of stories of it being a skill that takes years to learn

Back