Kona SEX3

Wow, that is mint! This is one of my dream bikes for the old Kona collection; if you ever want to sell it, let me know. :)

Thanks for all the positive comments - I will be taking it to The Dirty Weekend at Pickering. It does run absolutely fine as I have looked after her well but the hydraulic fluid will no doubt need replacing - think I need a kit for this? :? and just general new cables, chain, rear block - and the usual fettling of the Pace forks.

That looks cool.

Really wanted one of these BITD - MBUK tested a yellow sex 3 against a cannondale and something I forgot (grizly???) and I was smitten...

I remember when Kona stopped with the SUspension eXperience (SEX) logo - the new FS bikes had 'oops, didnt know we couldnt talk about sex' written below them on the ads

:D
And it looks even better in the flesh.
Great to see all that care hammered on the timed sections this weekend.

I usually go for the early 90's with P2s but this is rather nice :cool:

Can't really understand their reason to design the seattube in pieces like that, but I love it... Very nice look... :D

Sex 3

Saw this in the flesh at the weekend and looks even bettter, how id it ride on the Saturday then?
The weight weenie in me wants to change the Maguras for XTR V's tho? ;)

Very difficult to be subjective as I have not ridden anything else of a similar nature - only other Kona hard tails - so this is obviously a completely biased report and it goes without saying that the one major flaw in the whole setup on the day was the rider who failed to stay on after 20yds into the first timed DH section!! :?

However I also own a 2009 modern :shock: Kula so here goes:

I had the rear shock set at 150psi which is a bit higher than normal as someone mentioned a few hills so didnt want excessive bobbing - but just a bit of comfort/control over the bigger rocks and hits that were to come - this proved to be a good call as some of the track and road climbs would have suited a hardtail far better (and a lighter fitter rider). The Pace forks although only having 70mm travel ish are kept very well greased and are set fairly soft, so climbing out of the saddle is hard work so the bike works best on ALL uphills by a patient sat down approach. On tricky rocky uphill the rear digs in far better than my hardtail and allows for a far more controlled ascent - before the engine blows :roll:
Where this bike puts a big smile on your face is the rocky singletracks and technical rock strewn decents and the final DH timed section to Goathland was nothing short of sublime.
As for brakes - would not change from the Magures as despite the weight issue they out perform anything else I have tried - plus once set up just so much easier to maintain IMO.
Any mechanicals on the day on this 13yr old bike - no.....just a rider with one sore ass!!

Back