Kona Hei Hei 1994 build thread

It’s a 17 inch centre to top.

If you would have said before I’d sourced all the build kit I would have definitely been up for it as 97 is my favourite year of retro bikes and I really struggle with 94 builds on what to spec.

But now I’m too far gone to swap years as 97 would be M950.

However if someone had a 94 in a 19inch with fork I’d be up for it.

Looking good dude, looking good.

Worth remembering if you did swap for a 97 you'd be working with different geometry, the more traditional Kona sloping top tube style.

Headset thoughts …..

It’s fitted with the original Control centre headset which is nicer than a normal Impact one , but does feel a little low spec compared to the rest of the spec.

Any thoughts on whether it’s a good choice ? Or if I should go maybe M901 or CK grip nut?

Headset thoughts …..

It’s fitted with the original Control centre headset which is nicer than a normal Impact one , but does feel a little low spec compared to the rest of the spec.

Any thoughts on whether it’s a good choice ? Or if I should go maybe M901 or CK grip nut?

I was never of a fan of Control Centres. They look good, and for the time, the adjustment was ace. But the feel and durability, not so good unless you fitted some pukka bearings. So that's an option, or the aforementioned M901.

The lower cup is quite bulky which is the bit which is annoying me.

Can’t decide whether to keep it , go CK or M901.

I had a 94 cindercone years ago where I just replaced the bottom cup and bearings for a cane creek 40 and kept the top part to run the threaded P2's.

Back