Kona Caldera 1997

Re:

Enjoying this story so far :)

Not being a kona guy myself, im not overly knowlageable on them.

If this is as it seems a very rare frame/model, why did they come with a lowish spec?

As I say, I don't really know kona's or there model/spec list.

Pleased you have found your unicorn though :)

Re: Re:

unit3":3uo5rh90 said:
If this is as it seems a very rare frame/model, why did they come with a lowish spec?

:) That part of the story will be revealed (Kona's view anyway)

Re: Kona Caldera 1997 - unicorn scenes

i had started to think these only happened in the catalogue

Loving this thread :) Always great to see someone obtain a bike that stirs up so much excitement and passion - what Retrobike is all about I reckon :)

Si_33":1h2be8ns said:
Loving this thread :) Always great to see someone obtain a bike that stirs up so much excitement and passion - what Retrobike is all about I reckon :)
I concur entirely.

Great story! Looking forward to the next instalment and more of the insider facts. :)

This looks great! Cannot wait to see it done and in some action photos :)

Re: Re:

Thanks for all the kind comments :) Previously unit3 asked:

unit3":2prm3esb said:
Enjoying this story so far :)

That's part of the overall story about this model. Some background reading is needed here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32150&hilit=1997+caldera

and here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=307959&hilit=caldera

In summary, I cobbled together what the collective theory was:

- Altitude and Kona enter an agreement in '96 where Altitude (aka Mountain Goat) make and supply the Hot and Caldera
- The Caldera is to be marketed as a high-end 'hand-made in the USA' bike at a more affordable price
- Something happens very early on in the agreement and therefore the build process. Possible 'things' could be: issues building and setting 853 for the Hot, a very laid back approach (rumours about a stoner attitude) and / or something else...
- Kona get nervous and terminate the agreement
- Hot's are made by another firm (I forget which) for the rest of '97 and into '98 but the Caldera isn't part of the new deal and no more are made
- This means only a handful of early Caldera's - pre-production or an initial batch run - were ever made.

Kona very kindly told me to get back in my box (the answer was in the first link above by haggis) :LOL:

Wow that's some X-files level stuff there. OK let me fill in some of the blanks.

The Caldera in it's custom form only lasted for one year because people didn't want a budget custom bike. We had a whole run of options on the custom program and the buyers were people who'd progressed through riding and wanted a "best" bike. There were also unlimited colour choices on the Hot and Ku while the Caldera was red or blue.

The riders with that budget would look at the U'hu, and the Kula and Explosif and go that route.

So I suspect the rarity in the UK is because no one wanted one and not many came over there.

The tubes were picked out by Altitude. Altitude was Jeff Lynskey's expansion past Mountain Goat; stuff like the dropouts were used because they're a super nice investment cast item and they fit smaller tubes vs. our bigger dropouts. It's definitely not an 853 frame. We'd build tons of custom frames and hold them raw ready for paint, then when we'd get low on stock we'd see who had the time and space to produce another run. That's where you'd see the changes in builders for the steel and alloy hardtails.

It's one of those bikes that we built because riders would tell us they dreamed about having a custom bike but couldn't afford it. So we built an affordable custom. Turns out that's not what they wanted; they wanted XTR and all the bells and whistles. Same reason as that huge surge of Chinese and Russian Ti frames died off so abruptly. People really didn't want them.

So if you do find a Caldera it's neat handmade bike to have for sure. That was just at the point of a huge change in riding. Before that you'd start on a hardtail and progress to nicer and nicer hardtails till you plateaued with a Ti frame. Then suddenly suspension came along and started fracturing the process. Then full suspension started to move out of the curiosity category into the must have bike, and then disc brakes came along and people really pulled back from custom frames and paint and poured all their spending money into functioning upgrades vs. good looks.

So - it was meant to be an affordable 'custom' bike. To do that they had to compromise on the spec including the paint. I'll argue strongly that the quality is still very high - easily as good as the high-end mass produced models. The spec I can't: the Indy's are rubbish (but all of them were that year) and LX is fine but it feels like dressing mutton on lamb (if you get my drift). Kona addressed the customer feedback and - surprise surprise - the customers isn't always right ;)

If I was transported back to 1997 and had £1,500 to burn on a Kona I know I wouldn't have gone with the Caldera. Explosif all the way or I'd saved up more £ for a Hot.

Next up - what's it made of? Kona have also indicated why mds' is even more unusual...clue...it's like my Kapu ;)

In the meantime, thoughts?

pipmeister":3nvcn2aq said:
I will suggest that the decal material on your Caldera is similar to that used on the Titanium frames. On a Titanium frame, the decals are not the same as Water Transfers used on wet paint and then often finished with clear lacquer. Does the Caldera have the decals stuck on top of the Powder Coating with no clear lacquer?

Before I forget, it's been clear coated. The decals are nice and protected apart from those areas where it's been stored and perhaps had a lock wrapped around it.

Re:

Love it! :D
Al, you've done a great job digging up info about the original Caldera and Kona's dealings with Altitude, well done!

My theory regarding the split between Altitude and Kona (brace myself for the oncoming assault) is the '96 Hot's simply were not good enough. Apparantly a lot of them snapped far to easily (mostly at the chainstays), I've heard a couple stories of chainstays spontaneously snapping right after a ride while the bike sat dormant or just as the rider had stepped off! Complaints about the frames not being straight or geometry being off as well.
If you look at an Altitude built Hot and a later Enigma built Hot they are distinctly different, pipes and dropouts are much beefier on the Enigma Hot's. Perhaps Kona purposely beefed up the later Hot's so as not to take anymore chances and this is why they are different to the Altitude Hot's. The '97 Kilauea and Explosif also recieved these new beefier stays and dropouts while the Altitude Caldera used the same stays and dropouts (Mountain Goat drop outs) as the '96 Hot. That says a lot as well.
I reckon Altitude wasn't up for the task building the 853 Hot's so lost the contract subsequently losing the Caldera contract too. Didn't Jeff get back into glass blowing after this as well? ;)
After the long success with Teesdale these new 853 Hot's would have had to be to a very high standard which Altitude possibly couldn't equal. Not to mention the difficulty working with the 853 tubes.
I should say that my theory is based on the Altitude built 853 Hot's and not the Caldera's. I've not heard any feedback regarding the Caldera and (I'm guessing?) it is not built with the Reynolds 853 tubing.
Also should be said that it's just a theory, I could be wrong ;)
...sorry if this all sounds like rambling, I've got the flu and hopped up on med's :cool:

Interesting you say the frame has been powder coated AND clear coated. I didn't think you could clearcoat over a powder job. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could chime in?

Back