Kona Caldera 1997

Re:

Well, I think that a round of applause is well deserved here. Thank you Al, for getting Kona to dig into their history….. and I see there is more to come!

Thank you also to Canuck for your latest informed response to the thread.

I was intrigued with your observation regarding clear coating over powder coat – this is why I put the question to Al. I too always thought that clear lacquer was not generally used over powder coat because of some process problem, but I can’t recall now what that may be. Perhaps an issue with Cellulose on powder coat?

Anyway, I assume that powder coating in 1996 was fairly uncommon in the industry for frames? Although coming up to date, there is now clear powder coat, and Two Pack clear coat consisting of clear lacquer and activator.

Oh and to clarify my poorly constructed question posted earlier in this thread…. I didn’t intend to imply that Titanium was often finished with clear lacquer but, when used on wet paint that water transfer decals did have a lacquer coating over the top of the decals.

al-onestare":2rzu2v19 said:
Next up - what's it made of? Kona have also indicated why mds' is even more unusual...clue...it's like my Kapu ;)

In the meantime, thoughts?

I was leaning towards yours being a version of Tange….. but mds’ even more unusual…..like your Kapu! What, you mean Columbus Genius?

Pip.

Re: Re:

pipmeister":3cxgtk1i said:
al-onestare":3cxgtk1i said:
Next up - what's it made of? Kona have also indicated why mds' is even more unusual...clue...it's like my Kapu ;)

In the meantime, thoughts?

I was leaning towards yours being a version of Tange….. but mds’ even more unusual…..like your Kapu! What, you mean Columbus Genius?

Pip.

I had a theory that mrdryskull's could have been an early production model, maybe even a show / press bike or prototype. The SN whilst baffling actually makes sense. Made that early for 1997 and perhaps from whatever parts were available 'to hand' or even (and we know Kona are good at this) it's a Hot painted as a Caldera. Why? Check out the colour and check out the colour in the catalogue. Pretty close isn't it?

main.php

1997%20Caldera%20MDS_zpsd8sahjbi.jpg

The catalogue is an unreliable source at the best of times when it comes to colour and final spec, but Kona tend to agree:

The other bike could have been a show sample. Painted with the normal wet coat and made way ahead of the production run so it would be ready for interbike and the before shows sales meetings.

This was - thanks to Anthony - what my Kapu has in common with mds' Caldera. Mine has on the top, top tube routing rather than on the bottom of the top tube, no pump pegs, a mix of 94 and 95 decals and some 94 Haole components. Oh, and a very early 95 SN :)

All in all, it make his example even more rare and special! Cap doffed!

And whilst we're on the subject of other peoples bikes, may I take this opportunity to say I love the internet. Aside all the BS there are moments like this when you connect with people all over the world that are golden. I hope he won't mind me saying but knickering has been a great help recently with my final unicorn pursuit, the 97 Kapu.

As it turns out and I'm sure Canuck can testify, Denmark is a hub and source of rare or high-end Kona's. Yesterday evening he got in touch and I couldn't believe my eyes when I read and saw the contents of his PM.

Just as a reminder. Until earlier this year, before mds' post, no-one (apart from Kona!) was really sure if any '97 Caldera's had been made. So even before taking into account my find, it's been a great year to finally see one. Well, like buses...

HMmI9J.jpg

NEZ1St.jpg

XXNMHT.jpg

9o8nhk.jpg

Yes, the 'Molotov Red' 97 Caldera. I'll stick my neck out and say, this is the first time the internet has seen one. Try googling for one. Unbelievable! Ignore the kit for a moment - what a frame, that colour is fantastic - a proper metallic blood red, not like the 95 Explosif - more earthy. It looks in great condition. I won't steal anymore of knickering's thunder other than, please can you find out the serial number!! What a fabulous turn of events in the space of less than 12 months.

There's still more to this story - I hope you continue to enjoy it as much as I am.

Re:

This has to be the best thread for ages!
I had no idea about the Caldera before - now I know too much that's healthy for an average guy - but I want more!! :LOL:

Great stuff!

Re: Kona Caldera 1997 - unicorn scenes

Continuing the theme today of others peoples bikes (and thanks to the owners for their cooperation on this), there's an interesting link between ernie's 97 Hot and mrdryskull's 97 Caldera. Check out the serial numbers:

mds: H09607034
ernie: H09607048

Same month and if we go with batches of 50 - ready to paint up when the orders came in - that's the same batch. Two different 'bikes'...perhaps!

ernie's thread also has some excellent knowledge and history from Anthony (a much missed poster and without whom I and many others would still be in the dark with the finer details of Kona's operations). Check it out here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=162175

0Nz39J.jpg

Specifically and to bring it back to the Caldera, here's the Altitude story - remember Caldera's were made at the same time, at the same period as the Hot's in 96/97 (for 97):

....The Goat emblem on the dropout testifies to the Altitude operation being a continuation of the Mountain Goat business, from the same factory, with the same welders and still under the direction of Jeff Lindsay, the founder, principal and designer of Mountain Goat.

Altitude seems to have started in 1995, operating alongside Mountain Goat. They seem to have stopped selling Mountain Goats after 1995, and during 1996 they built the 1996 and all or most of the 1997 Hots for Kona. They also built the Kona Ku's, in this case from 95 to 97, presumably because Tom Teesdale who built Hots until 1995 didn't work with aluminium. A builder called Enigma took on the Kona contract from 1997, but their frames may have been just the 98 models. It would be interesting to know of a 97 Hot that doesn't have a 96HO serial, but I haven't seen one myself.

It seems that Jeff lindsay left Altitude sometime around the end of 1996, and one wonders whether the end of the Kona contract may have been linked to this. The company continued under the ownership of A-Pro of Taiwan, who were already involved in partnership with Jeff Lindsay. They kept it going until around 1999 building VooDoos, which were always the bulk of Altitude's business from 1995 onwards.

I believe that Altitude also painted bikes, including my VooDoo, but they didn't paint Konas - that was done by Velographics of Bellingham, Washington State, near to the Kona HQ.

al-onestare":1eifskhg said:
It's one of those bikes that we built because riders would tell us they dreamed about having a custom bike but couldn't afford it. So we built an affordable custom. Turns out that's not what they wanted; they wanted XTR and all the bells and whistles.

I think the theory here is a fairly sound. Get the best frame you can afford as its easy to update the kit that's bolted onto it over time. You'd think that the frame would make more difference to the ride than anything else. But in reality we just get dazzled by the fancy stuff and want it straight away.

Kerplunk":1ok95649 said:
al-onestare":1ok95649 said:
It's one of those bikes that we built because riders would tell us they dreamed about having a custom bike but couldn't afford it. So we built an affordable custom. Turns out that's not what they wanted; they wanted XTR and all the bells and whistles.

I think the theory here is a fairly sound. Get the best frame you can afford as its easy to update the kit that's bolted onto it over time. You'd think that the frame would make more difference to the ride than anything else. But in reality we just get dazzled by the fancy stuff and want it straight away.

I'd add that some - not all of us - are dazzled by the 'next best thing...' - partially by the press and manufacturers. This was a golden era of 'new' breaking (!) technology: I don't think anyone really knew the level of change was coming with full suss/downhill/all-ride. Pretty much overnight your design and equipment, and therefore your desires changed.

Still, it means for geeks like me (us) we have something to keep us busy :LOL:

Re:

Phew – this story is running at a pace now - fascinating and informative…. Blimey what next?

A couple of things then;

1) Are we to assume that MDS’s Caldera that was built in July 1996 was manufactured using Reynolds 853 (like a Hot) and was an early “prototype”, and that your Caldera that was built in September 1996 was a more finalised version (with a CA pre-fix) and built from something else; Quote, “The tubes were picked out by Altitude”.

2) As for the 'Molotov Red' 97 Caldera, all I can say now is Blimey :shock:.... and your wallet is probably sighing with relief as the frame is too small for you. ;)

Pip

Im a little confused by it all, but im right in to this story of the mystical Caldera.

And that red one is crying out for a set of yellow RS judy's (if it was mine)

pipmeister":1rk6s2a7 said:
Phew – this story is running at a pace now - fascinating and informative…. Blimey what next?

A couple of things then;

1) Are we to assume that MDS’s Caldera that was built in July 1996 was manufactured using Reynolds 853 (like a Hot) and was an early “prototype”, and that your Caldera that was built in September 1996 was a more finalised version (with a CA pre-fix) and built from something else; Quote, “The tubes were picked out by Altitude”.

2) As for the 'Molotov Red' 97 Caldera, all I can say now is Blimey :shock:.... and your wallet is probably sighing with relief as the frame is too small for you. ;)

Pip

1) If I were a betting man I'd say yes. Which makes me worried - see Canuck's note!
2) Well it sounds like our man knickering has secured the deal :cool:

unit3":1rk6s2a7 said:
Im a little confused by it all, but im right in to this story of the mystical Caldera.

And that red one is crying out for a set of yellow RS judy's (if it was mine)

Yep...and perhaps mine will be sporting some too ;)

So what was Altitude heat treated chromoly? This one I can't answer and I'd look to our Mountain Goat experts as well as the Kona-heads for any insight.

As we've seen, theories vary from 853 to 'whatever they had to hand'. We can say at least that if we believe the batch production format (I do by the way) then they were probably all made - the 50's - with the same stuff. Kona's view is this:

No idea on the tubes, they'd have been what the factory got in bulk and branded as their house. 853 had distinct shaping and was drawn thinner with a bigger OD as a result.

Tange? Columbus? Something off the back of a lorry?

Whatever it is, it's got a lovely ping to it (!), is slim and dainty and I reckon if we put one next to a Hot of the same era, we'd struggle to tell the difference. Other than getting calipers out and some scales plus an exact replica Hot, I'm not sure how we'll figure it out.

Who knew? :LOL:

Still, interesting thread with lots of great information.
I like that red Caldera as well. Might have to pick up a couple of them! :LOL:

Back