Knackered vintage fork. Can be fixed cheaply?

Titiritero

Retro Guru
Found this bike in the local classifieds. Mostly XT stuff. I plan to buy it for the parts, swap with cheaper stuff, and sell again. Issue is the forks, completely bottomed out. Is there a cheap way to fix them? If not, are they safe to ride, even if they won't work? I will be reselling cheaply so I just need it to be rideable. Thanks!

Knackered fork.jpg

I'd pick up a cheap pair on ebay and swap them over. RST, RS Indy etc Will take 5 mins tops, and probably cheaper than fixing them (likely collapsed elastomers)

Just make sure the steerer is long enough, obvs.

I'd pick up a cheap pair on ebay and swap them over. RST, RS Indy etc Will take 5 mins tops, and probably cheaper than fixing them (likely collapsed elastomers)

Just make sure the steerer is long enough, obvs.
I'd second this.

If you're swapping out the XT for low end components it seems pointless getting the forks rebuilt. It won't add any value. I would go further and say consider selling it on with the forks as they are. You're not going to get a big payday for it anyway.

Take what you need, and do the minimum inc leaving forks as is. Even tarted up, I'd be surprised if you get more than £50 for it unless there's something I'm missing. Old bikes are practically worthless around here, and stick around on FB marketplace for yonks.

Thanks for the answers. Yes, as long as the fork is safe to ride, I will leave it as it is. The asking price is 40 so I'd be happy if I manage to be close to getting my money back.

I looked at used forks and the cheapest were 20€, so including all the hassle of installation totally not worth it ...

Back