Klein quantum

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well a new bike for the stable. A Klein Qunatum from a year I can't quite fathom. This bike is also rather odd in that it does not have the press fit BB. The bike came fitted with some heavy FIR wheels and 3ttt forma bars, a very light icon quill stem and an ultegra BB and cassette.
Currently the bike is not finished but its getting closer. I have to wrap the bar tape and position the bars and shifters properly.
The frame is 61cm which is a bit tall for me but the top tube is the right length so the position is fine.

Current spec
ITM millenium carbon bars (NOS) fitted these are 215g and that saves 85g from memory. the reach on the bars is a bit long though.
Modolo 120mm quill stem fitted to replace the 130mm icon stem which was far too long with these new bars. 80g gained by this part though! 280g
Dura Ace 7700 BB saving 50g over the ultegra part 173g?
Dura Ace 9 speed cassette 161g
KMC x10SL
Dura Ace 7700 chainset 613g
Dura Ace 7410 headset
Dura Ace 7700 brakes
Dura Ace 7700 STI's
Dura Ace 7700 rear mech partially tuned with a blue alloy main pivot bolt and blue pulley screws I have forgotten the final weight. Carbon pulley and other alloy bolts yet to be fitted.
Look Keo2 Max pedals (these look wrong and have to be changed) 261g
Icon seat post - to be changed
Sella Italia Flite saddle - to be changed
Mavic GEL280 rims 32H Novatec A171/F172 hubs sapim race spokes rear sapim laser spokes front (1380g)
Vittoria Corsa SC 23mm tubulars
Ebay Ti skewers 43g
Current weight 7.79kg

There is so much more weight to be saved.
I have on order 20F/24R Carbon Ti hubs in silver (214g) which I will lace to 300g 38mm deep tubular rims with Sapim CX ray spokes these will weigh 1020g saving 360g over the current wheels.
There is a thompson master piece seat post waiting to be fitted. It weighs 170g but once it is cut down it should save over 50g compared to the current post.
One of Jure Berks saddles (maybe he can do the padded saddle with blue leather?) will save 200g
I have a set of silver Planet X brakes which are 100g lighter than the DA7700 brakes. However there is a SRP Ti bolt kit on here which may or may not have been sold might try that instead.
BTP carbon clamps for the STI's will save a few grams.
Power Cordz cables will save some more weight
All that will bring the weight to under 7kg

I hope to get this bike as close as is possible to 6kg however this will take time. 7kg is the immediate goal when parts arrive and then to ride it. I would ride it sooner but there is no hurry lot of other bikes to ride you see.

Berk carbon saddle ordered with blue leather padding. Jure will try to get a close colour match for a bit of extra niceness weight of saddle is 99g vs 280g for the current one.

SRP Ti bolt kit for the Dura Ace brakes has turned up. Everything looks good just got to strip the brakes now and fit them. No sure how many grams I will save for all that effort.

Some slow progess. silver Carbon Ti hubs have arrived and I have built wheels weigh 1020g with carbon rims. Vittoria Corsa CX 25mm tyres have been glued on.

A Cinelli Grammo stem replaces the Modolo. There is more to do. I might change the bars and there is a thomson masterpiece silver seatpost to be fitted along with a BERK saddle covered in mathcing blue leather.

Weight is currently 7.40kg but it will be below 7kg by the time I am done.

bm0p700f":1eftv819 said:
Some slow progess. silver Carbon Ti hubs have arrived and I have built wheels weigh 1020g with carbon rims. Vittoria Corsa CX 25mm tyres have been glued on.

A Cinelli Grammo stem replaces the Modolo. There is more to do. I might change the bars and there is a thomson masterpiece silver seatpost to be fitted along with a BERK saddle covered in mathcing blue leather.

Weight is currently 7.40kg but it will be below 7kg by the time I am done.

Those wheels suit it better

The other wheels were just there so the frame had something to site on while I waited a few months for the hubs.

I must admit, that stem looks very elegant in the titanium colour

Out of curiousity, have you considered getting silver-gray outer cables, or even dark bleu to match the saddle? :)

What handlebar tape would you choose?

There is progress but not photographed. I have grey Kevlar Ashima outers go on and blue Powercordz inners as well. The saddle has been changed to a BERK - he a slovenian chap who a bit of craftsman with carbon. The problem my photo was not great and the colour match of the leather padding is not as close as I would like. Therefore I need to dye the leather to get a better match. Or maybe I wont bother as it not that far out.

There is a Cinelli tape which is fairly close to the frame colour but I may get bar tape made from the same leather by BERK.

I have bought a pair of titanium crank bolts for it though.
There is a silver Thompson seatpost in it now as well. Weight is down to 7.15kg

Back