onegoodbike gets a slap.......

onegoodbike

Merlin Fan
Feedback
View
........and he likes it! 😂

My ongoing search for my perfect steel road bike continues....This time I've been fortunate enough to snag this beauty.

It's a 1998 Ibis 'Spanky' 57cm frameset, came to me with a variety of late 90s components, most of which have made way for my preferred retro-mod-ish build of 10 speed Dura-Ace kit. The paintwork is a little tired but original and good enough for me to leave it be at the moment.

Here's the spec and then some pics

57cm Ibis Spanky built from Moron tubing in what I think is a rather fetching Silver to Eggplant fade.
Chris King Gripnut 1" threaded headset.
Cinelli 1A (reissue) 100mm quill stem.
Deda Piega RHM 42cm handlebars.
Zipp service course bar tape.

Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 shifters.
Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 F&R brake calipers.
Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 rear derailleur.
Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 front derailleur.
Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 10 speed cassette 12-27.
Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 10 speed chain.
Shimano Dura-Ace 7410 170mm chainset.
Specialites TA Alize 52/38 chainrings.
Shimano Dura-Ace 7410 bottom bracket.
Shimano Dura-Ace 9100 pedals.

Rims Mavic Open Pro 32 hole clinchers.
Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 F&R hubs.
Continental Grand Prix 25mm tyres.

Fizik Aliante VS saddle Ti rails.
Shimano Dura-Ace 7410 Seatpost 27.2mm dia.
King cage Ti bottle cages.

Weight: to be confirmed.

Spanky 1.jpg spanky 2.jpg spanky 3.jpg spanky 4.jpg spanky 5.jpg

spanky 6.jpg

There's a newsletter from Dream Cycles in the Ibis section of the archive that I think might list this frameset for sale. Dream Cycles were based in Norfolk and that's where I bought the bike from. It's in the list of frames for sale in the bottom left corner of the page shown below.....

Dream Cycles Newsletter clipping Jan 98.png

Last edited:
Amazing. Love this bike build! Super cool to see the Dream Cycles sticker as my Norfolk found Ibis Mojo obviously came from the same shop, I didn’t realise it was a Norfolk shop. I’ve only lived in Norfolk since 1983!

Attachments

• IMG_4019.jpeg
    IMG_4019.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 18
Amazing. Love this bike build! Super cool to see the Dream Cycles sticker as my Norfolk found Ibis Mojo obviously came from the same shop, I didn’t realise it was a Norfolk shop. I’ve only lived in Norfolk since 1983!

Thanks!.

From what I've read on the newsletters saved here in the archive section they were based in North Walsham.

I don't know how long they lasted for but they stocked cool kit and from reading through the newsletters they seem pretty enthusiastic, so it's a shame they're not about anymore.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your Mojo, it's a beauty!.

Matt

What's this Moron tubing? Is it not too clever? Appeals to me if that's the case.

If the 98 catalogue in the archive here is to be believed, the tubeset was custom drawn in Nivacrom by Columbus, which is the same steel used for their Genius, Brain, Neuron tubesets, I guess the name made Scot Nicol smile?.

Last edited:
Bit of a new year's update......finally managed to track down a copy of the 1998 Cycling Weekly review mentioned in the Dream Cycles Ibis-centric newsletters archived here.

review image.jpg

Last edited:
Back