Keith Coppell - With a modern twist

Re:

Right.

Time to bring this build back to life.

I used The Keith for a couple of years as a anytime anywhere bike, all year round. After a while I decided it deserved better than to be used as a hack, so bagged it up and popped it in the loft.

This is how it was when first built and well ridden.

DSC_0069.JPG

DSCN0990.JPG

Today was the day when I decided to pull it all to bits and try a few parts on for size.

I cleaned and lubed the Tricolor 600 headset and found a few more 600 bits, a suitable seat post, shifters and some Cinelli bars that will do the job. I also have some 600 hubs and Open pro rims that will suit the build perfectly.

A few bits still to find.

DSC_0003.JPG

Next job is to get some matching paint and take care of a few of the worst scrapes, while at the same time finding a few more bits and bobs.

Nice one Neil - this one was one of my faves n I had it…..it should look good with some more contemporary kit on it (not that it wasn't nice before!)

Re:

It's the first and at present only 531 road bike I have and the ride is excellent, Keith (sadly no longer with us) certainly knew how to put a great frame together.

The build is going to be late 80's early 90's to suit the age of the frame, I may cheat a little (the indexed shifters are 9 speed), as I still want to end up with a practical bike.

It looked great before and I am sure it will look that much better when your finished.
It's always good to be able to change the components on a frame you've had for a while and then it's like a new lease on life.
Look forward to seeing it come together as the components you've listed sound like a great riding mix and should suite it well. I really like the colour too.

Jamie

Really neat. What's the 531 decal (with the red numbers)?
edit.
Actually, there's a few ideas I like to steal from your build if that's ok?... How does that (1 1/8th?) stem work with (I'm assuming is) the 1" steerer, as that cockpit set-up is super nice.

Re:

I don't have a close up of the 531 decals, they are the same on the fork legs, red letters on a black background with a gold border.

Help yourself to any of the bits of my build that you like.

The 1" steerer has an extension piece which fits into the forks like any stem would, it has a shaft about 50 ish mm tall which is 1 inch diameter and I used a 1" to 1 1/8" sleeve to get the stem to fit. You can find adaptors which have 1 1/8" shaft and save the spacer, but that's what I had knocking about.

Nice! I'm pretty sure I have one of those adapters. In fact, now I recall am sure I bought it off here. That chainset, does it use a standard BB or the outboard cup thingies?

Re:

It's a SRAM gxp BB, so outboard bearing thingies.

They screw fit in exactly the same way a conventional BB does.

Re:

No. I have never bothered with all that, and I have a lot of retro mtb and road bikes with gxp BB's, as I do likes me SRAM stuff.

Back