Keith Coppell - With a modern twist

Re:

Well that's really odd, I could have sworn I posted a reply yesterday.

Anyway, as I have finished for Christmas and as the weather was a little more forgiving than of late, I thought I'd take The Keith up to the Mendips.

Rode over to and the up Burrington Combe, this is a two mile climb, so was a good work out for both of us.

At the bottom
DSCN0990_zpsuftlkkyc.jpg

At the top.
DSCN0994_zpsbw8c9ymk.jpg

Once at the top I saw the first of the many other cyclists I came across during the ride, all in one's and two's and all heading the other way.... do they know something I don't?

As it turns out, yes.

I rode through the old Roman leadworks at Charterhouse and then turned right, heading towards Cheddar Gorge, and then it hit me.... the headwind that is. Nothing like as bad as we have had, but enough to make me pedal down what would normally be gentle downhill freewheels.

Down the Gorge was fun, as The Keith handles superbly; it is nippy but sure footed, the tracking is dead on and all you have to do is point it at an apex and ZOOM round the bend you go. Mind, the wind channelling up the gorge was so strong, I had to pedal most of the way down. Great for those going up 'interesting' for me.

Part way down.
DSCN0995_zpsgc7thzov.jpg

A few more miles and climbs to get home, which I managed without the aid of either an Ambulance or bottled oxygen, so that was a result.

If the weather will give us a break down here, then I'll be able to get in a few more rides over Christmas and New Year, which will be great, as I REALLY like this bike.

Re:

Looks like a great area for riding Neil

It's nice when you ride a bike that just feels right too! :cool:

Mike

Re:

Having experienced 531 in a road frame for the first time with The Dave, I really liked the ride, so to get The Keith and end up with exactly the bike I wanted is great and I'm well pleased.

Lovely looking machine Neil :cool:
Looks and sounds like you have it perfectly set up for your needs. Its really nice when you hear someone plainly enthusiastic about riding their builds, obviously you got it spot on with this one, though you sounded like you knew exactly what you were aiming for.

Jamie

Re:

Coomber, it was dry at the bottom and raining at the top, but only misty rain, so I guess that does not count.

Jamie, I only build bikes to ride and I am fascinated by the differences in the feel of the ride between different steel / builders. Keith Coppell obviously knew exactly what he was doing, as the frame has a nice mix of weight, stiffness and compliance which makes it a pleasure to ride.

Oh Jesus I shouldn't have looked at this thread :facepalm:

Just when I'd thought I've built every variant of bike and started saving some pennies you show me this :facepalm:

I've a full dura ace 7800 groupset with nothing to put it on.. Now I foresee an old 80's frame with all modern bits on :roll:

Was your rear spacing 130mm ? Or did you have it coldset..?

Lovely rig :cool:

Cheers

Col

Re:

Col, that sounds great, hand made British 531, mmmmmmmmmmm you know you want to.

The frame was already 130, which was one of the reasons I did not go after a second Dave Lloyd that came up before The Keith appeared.

Back