Dave Hinde, Columbus SL with Campag Mirage

velocipede

Senior Retro Guru
This is believed to be a 1994 frame. It's hand built by Dave in the workshop upstairs at the Northwich shop (which is les than 10 miles from home for me so I consider Dave to be one of my LBS's!)

I picked it up locally in a bereavement sale & whilst t frame has plenty of chips and scrapes from use, it has no dents or nasty damage. I certainly don't think it needs a respray as the deep metallic cherry red enamel is really nice.

Full Campagnolo 8 speed groupset with Ergo shifters - mainly Mirage - all running perfectly and chain & cassette are nearly new
Lovely wheels (Campag hubs again - I think Mirage but can't be sure) built onto Mavic open SUP CD rims - the rims are only really just losing their anodising on the brake track so good indication of overall wear of the bike
25mm Gatorskins (I think easily room for 28s)
Cinelli 65 bars, XA stem (in Century finish)
Thomson seatpost
Bottle cage

All I've needed to do is re-route the cables as the cable routing was all over the place, added a Thomson inline seatpost so I could move the saddle forward a bit to suit me, and re-wrapped the bars - it's running beautifully and the ride is exactly as you'd expect for handmade steel; really smooth - you can see from the pics how nicely the frame has been put together -

Attachments

• IMG_3140.jpeg
    IMG_3140.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3141.jpeg
    IMG_3141.jpeg
    878.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3142.jpeg
    IMG_3142.jpeg
    783.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3143.jpeg
    IMG_3143.jpeg
    592.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3145.jpeg
    IMG_3145.jpeg
    411.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3146.jpeg
    IMG_3146.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3147.jpeg
    IMG_3147.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3148.jpeg
    IMG_3148.jpeg
    782.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3149.jpeg
    IMG_3149.jpeg
    699.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3150.jpeg
    IMG_3150.jpeg
    666.8 KB · Views: 41
Beautiful. Makes one think, however, that the day will come when our own treasured steeds will be part of a bereavement sale also.. Unless our next of kin know their value they may (horror) end up in a skip. The bikes that is, not the next of kin!

Beautiful. Makes one think, however, that the day will come when our own treasured steeds will be part of a bereavement sale also.. Unless our next of kin know their value they may (horror) end up in a skip. The bikes that is, not the next of kin!
Indeed. The good thing, in this case, is that the cash raised went to a cancer charity (which I assumed had supported the previous owner) - I thought that was a nice thing and would like to think my (ever expanding!!) collection might get treated like that one day 🤞💕

Beautiful frame and bike! I also have a Dave Hinde as well (although may be a refinished Rourke)
Yes I’ve been following your thread - yours is lovely! I think you’re right tho, it does look very much like a Rourke to me too….

I’ve just put this one, and the Peugeot I’ve git profiled on here, up for sale. They are both great bikes but I’ve expanded my collection a bit recently and these really need a better home where they will get used!

Mmmm, I've ended up selling the groupset and wheels off this one and now wondering what to do - I'm half tempted to do a retro mod build with some newer, lighter parts - including dabbling with bar end shifters - but really I should sell it! Anyway, I'll see over the next couple of months......

so morose •

Back