Just skip to 2:30.....

I'd ride through, assessing the situation and nobody around it'd be safe to do so. But that's 2am, it'd be safe to do so if I was the only car too. But, the crossing might have cameras to make me think about doing it in a motor.

Same situation, 2am, nightclub kicking out, taxis around, pissed pedestrians, cars with clubbers driving, I'd pay attention to the road signals then.

That's an extreme scenario though.

I find most accidents are caused by somebody doing something unexpected.

Stopping distance on a bike at 30?
Enough to kill a pedestrian.
Enough to flip off the bike and cause injury.
Enough to lose control and slide into traffic.

Enough to be involved in an accident should another road user do something unexpected.

Cant wait to see you doing 30 on the pavement. The examples youre referring to are road examples and you cant just say they relate to pavement use without logic or proof.
In fact if youve ever ever EVER heard of anyone doing anything over 5mph id be really really REALLY surprised.

Nobody is taking a pop at anyone. agree/disagree all fine.

Logic dictates you ride in the safest place. Convention tells you to do the opposite.

I'd ride through, assessing the situation and nobody around it'd be safe to do so.
Well then, there are circumstances where you'd break the law. So would everybody else I think. The only debate here is to what EXTENT a cyclist would break the law in a particular circumstance. That can only come down to a sense of personal responsibility for yourself and those around you and not what the highway code says.

It wasn't so long ago when I was at the junction at Hyde Park Corner in London. I stopped at the line but a car pulled up quite close alongside me in a lane feeding off to the left leaving me sandwiched. So I pulled forward and positioned myself clearly in some space to get going cleanly. And then a Policeman on the pavement begins to instruct me to 'get back' behind the white line as I was breaking the law. I was sufficiently annoyed to spend the next 10 minutes talking to that copper and explaining why the law was dangerous and I would break it every time if it meant I remained alive.

My point is: that safety and common sense will come first and then consideration of the law after that. Always!

I can't help it that there are a lot of lunatic cyclists out there giving us all a bad name, but my own slavish adherence to ill-considered traffic systems and electrical coloured signals won't change that.

Re: Re:

Ian Raleigh":1bza8boj said:
Mike Muz 67":1bza8boj said:
I never ride through red lights
Me too Mike! You see I'm colour blind so never go through a red light :facepalm:

That was a joke! I always stop at red lights and can clearly see all colours :shock:

Hey Ian ,

Whaddya think of that orrible green Cofidis kit , or red europcar scheme . YUK !
And as for green light districts , don't go there mate :facepalm:
Mike

cycletothesea":136gr7b7 said:
A public highway has rules.

Okay Stewie, so you say. But run through the following scenario with me.

It's 2am, it's dark, and you're cycling home. No cars on the road, no pedestrians in sight and you approach the lights at a pedestrian crossing, the lights suddenly turn to red as you approach and the green man flashes to allow the invisible tourists to cross the road (which they frequently do, because, near junctions, they run on timed programs, NOT through anybody pressing a button!) So . . . do you A: just continue cycling across the crossing, or B: stop in front of the crossing for the green man to stop flashing before you carry on. The LAW says it must be B, but any normal, reasonable person would of course select A.

It would depend on if I was in the process of removing my jacket or not

Re:

It's worth remembering that all car drivers break the law (speed limit) multiple times everytime they get in their car!!! I like to point that out when they tell me that cyclists run red lights. For the record, I never run red lights. Also speed limits don't apply to cyclists ;)

makster":31bg9oi3 said:
cycletothesea":31bg9oi3 said:
A public highway has rules.

Okay Stewie, so you say. But run through the following scenario with me.

It's 2am, it's dark, and you're cycling home. No cars on the road, no pedestrians in sight and you approach the lights at a pedestrian crossing, the lights suddenly turn to red as you approach and the green man flashes to allow the invisible tourists to cross the road (which they frequently do, because, near junctions, they run on timed programs, NOT through anybody pressing a button!) So . . . do you A: just continue cycling across the crossing, or B: stop in front of the crossing for the green man to stop flashing before you carry on. The LAW says it must be B, but any normal, reasonable person would of course select A.

It would depend on if I was in the process of removing my jacket or not

B ? A ? :?

:shock: How did we get to J ?

Back