Just skip to 2:30.....

cycletothesea":2vad51ae said:
The only issue I have with this is that cyclists are required to obey the Highway Code... and while junction running / red light jumping may be relatively less dangerous on a bike than in a car it's all fuel for the cyclist haters, which affects us all. I'm not self-righteous about the rules of the road, but I have to say it annoys me when commuters scream through a red light while I'm waiting next to the cars!

It annoys me too, I've had many heated arguments with other cyclists I've seen shouting their way through pedestrians who are legally crossing the road. Brings us all down. But that shouldn't mean that other cyclists who are safe and sensible but not necessarily legal should be hated by all. The Highway Code wasn't written by (or designed for) cyclists I'm sure.

It would be better if some junctions were actually designed with cyclists in mind. Like that bit in the film where they cut across the grass to dodge the lights - what would be wrong with having a cycle path there so cyclists don't have to sit at the lights for no reason? As long as there's no dange when they merge back onto the road I can't see why not...

cycletothesea":1gamhkor said:
The only issue I have with this is that cyclists are required to obey the Highway Code... and while junction running / red light jumping may be relatively less dangerous on a bike than in a car it's all fuel for the cyclist haters, which affects us all. I'm not self-righteous about the rules of the road, but I have to say it annoys me when commuters scream through a red light while I'm waiting next to the cars!

It annoys me too, I've had many heated arguments with other cyclists I've seen shouting their way through pedestrians who are legally crossing the road. Brings us all down. But that shouldn't mean that other cyclists who are safe and sensible but not necessarily legal should be hated by all. The Highway Code wasn't written by (or designed for) cyclists I'm sure.
I see your point about some cyclists shouting at pedestrians.

And as to your pragmatic argument about proceeding carefully, as you could just walk across the road - it's not that I don't get that - and I do recognise the difference between that and just sailing through without a care in the world.

All the same, many drivers are polarised against cyclists, and just looking for a stick to beat them with - often literally, as well as metaphorically. Do they need any additional petrol on that fire?

Whilst we can sit in a bubble and be unconcerned and question why does it bother me, that's all fine and dandy, right up to the point it does bother me, and by that point it's invariably too late. Cyclists face increasing polarisation and hostility from drivers, should those that are sufficiently motivated to consider and discuss it: a) ignore it, pretend / hope it'll go away b) concede it as inevitable and go all Spike Bike c) consider whether our own actions may have bearing in either perceptions from drivers around us, or perceptions from cyclists around us.

I'm not sure there's an easy answer, but being all Canute like and pretending the tide isn't coming in on us doesn't seem the answer, either.

Personally, it wouldn't be my bag, riding my bike, filming all the transgressors, or shouting at those cycling the wrong way down one-way streets. I have to say, that does seem more about the edification of the arbiter of cycling holiness, than anything else - but I also think that setting a good example helps - maybe that's foolishly naive, but I do so when driving around cyclists, and when cycling on the road. Not to try and lay claim to any moral high ground, more that it's my hopelessly romantic notion that it may influence others in a good way, and be some token gesture against the impending zombie apocalypse - well that and drivers gonna hate.

John":2bl82hzk said:
Some less than ideal riding. Bit self righteous compiling them and posting on you tube though,

Agreed although it would have never of captured 2:30 :LOL:

In fact, it's best to avoid those on the roads with a camera. I've noticed a recent trend down here in the big smoke that those with one on their helmet are generally big helmets themselves (not all I stress). Yesterday we - myself and 4 others - had the pleasure of a twat cutting us all up for no reason whatsoever.

He didn't like it when I kindly mentioned he replay the footage so he could understand why he was being hola'ed at :LOL:

Re:

Nice one makster !
Made me :LOL: , needed that after the day I'm having :roll:

Personally , I never ride through red lights or the wrong way down a one way street . It can do us , as a cycling community , no good at all , and it gives those of us who abide by the law a bad name also .

Mike

The highway code.

It was written for roads users, of which cyclists are.

All behave the same or get off the roads, I'd say that to a user of any vehicle using the roads inappropriately.

I tried to come up with cycle road safety ideas, cyclists were the worst people to respond with negatives. People who think they can cycle the roads as if in a crit are as bad as those who think they can drive the roads as if in a rally.

A public highway has rules.

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":3o9btlpw said:
I never ride through red lights
Me too Mike! You see I'm colour blind so never go through a red light :facepalm:

That was a joke! I always stop at red lights and can clearly see all colours :shock:

Well i have to say that the guy filming this all is a jumped up nutjob.
even filming people on cycle paths, devoid of people or traffic and only pottering along at 2 miles an hour, but they also get a spot on his roll of shame.

Maybe if he paid more attention to the road and the others on it an less to whats going on on the pavement.
An accident waiting to happen.

It was written for roads users, of which cyclists are.

And the stopping distance for a cyclist at 30mph is????

Yup. Highway code is for motorized vehicles that will kill you if they make a mistake. Not you, you can be obeying everything but youre sharing that space with death.
Grand scheme of this means it is NOW unsafe to ride on roads and much safer on the pavements. Sure collisions are bound to happen as ive seen a few in Amsterdam where pedestrians and cyclists are mixed. Neith the cyclist or the pedestrian was injured beyond being a bit shocked a few scrapes and bruises.
Transcribe either of these parties to the main road and make the collision with a bus,car or articulated juggernaut
Cyclist -DEAD
Pedestrian- DEAD
All those featured on pavements must have been rocketing along at 4 miles an hour :roll:

What makes me ANGRY with many clunty drivers/motorcyclists/cyclists is when they are sat waiting at a red light
and it changes to green but for some reason the traffic is still going by, these clunty people engage gear and
head straight at the other road users in a way that they think they have the right of way but little do they
realise if you hit them its your fault as it was not clear and safe to go forward.

If anyone knows the highway correctly you'll know you only proceed if its clear and safe to do so!

dyna-ti":28afvtmo said:
And the stopping distance for a cyclist at 30mph is????
:LOL: But But it all depends if you have disc brakes or standard callipers, one other factor to consider is were your
hands are when you need to brake! If on the tops of the bars its quick to grab the levers but if on the bottom of
the bars its not as quick but holding on the levers is super quick! Must try this out and see the results attempting 30mph.

:roll:

A public highway has rules.

Okay Stewie, so you say. But run through the following scenario with me.

It's 2am, it's dark, and you're cycling home. No cars on the road, no pedestrians in sight and you approach the lights at a pedestrian crossing, the lights suddenly turn to red as you approach and the green man flashes to allow the invisible tourists to cross the road (which they frequently do, because, near junctions, they run on timed programs, NOT through anybody pressing a button!) So . . . do you A: just continue cycling across the crossing, or B: stop in front of the crossing for the green man to stop flashing before you carry on. The LAW says it must be B, but any normal, reasonable person would of course select A.

Back