Just Saying Hi - Kona Lava Dome 96

KonaJJ

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
First off Hi there Retro Bike Riders...

I have tried to register here all day with NO luck on the admin email, I have an AOL email account so I assume this is a problem?? I've now used my GM account to join and had success right away (just a note for the Admin) ;)

Brief MTB History..

Back in 89 - 94 I was well into the MTB scene and managed a ride with my local bike shop in the South of the UK and loved riding, never really got into the racing side but very much enjoyed the free cross country riding with the clubs & good friends.. I had several bikes the last 1 being a Kona. I simply loved it, loved the feel, loved the look, loved the design and I didn't realise but even more so now!

Not having even been on a bike for over 14 years!! I decided I wanted one, coming into some money & being less than 2 miles from the Peak District. Of course I had to get the better half a bike & have a child seat fitted to mine (its quick release ;)) so as to make it a fair trade for a half decent bike for me ;) :)

Anyway, I really wanted a Kona having had the experience I had many years ago. When I started looking online at new bikes I didn't know what was what as I've not seen a brand name in MTBing for over 10 years, the obvious are still there but many new brands are available, whats good and whats not?? Its quite hard to just walk into any decent bike shop and get exactly what you want as I found out.

I must admit I got to the point where I just wanted a bike and I was talked out of a Kona and into a Specialized, don't get me wrong its an amazing, beautiful bike that I stand and look at in awe! BUT there is just something about the ride I just don't like and I don't know what that is!

I'll be even more honest and say I don't think I like suspension in any form! & I don't think I like the hydro disc brakes!
I cant put my finger on it but it feels like your removed from the ride with this bike with all its technology and suspension.

The very next day to buying my Specialized I brought and old Kona - Lava Dome 96 (I think) in Gold (not a preferred colour but hey) I went and picked this Bike up and I got to admit (I don't like to) I fell in Love just from looking at the bike from 100 yards!! Got the bike home and sat on it and had a quick ride up and down the road before I had even done this my mind was made up and this was the bike for me, and thats just from sitting on it - unbelievable.

Its not as if you can spend hundreds of pounds on a bike and take it back 3 days later and say you just don't like it.. I did mention that I couldn't find a good riding position on the Specialized and he said "well people spend hundreds of pounds on saddles, bars, stems, to find a good riding position" all i could think at the time was WHY DO THAT!! why not find a bike that has a good position in the first place, don't make the mistake I made but thats hard to do..

So, I'll stop boring you all now.. this is the brief story that brings me to Retro Bike ;) I want to restore this kona to its former glory and enjoy that ride again.. I found some great bits on here in the For Sale section for this little LD project of mine but I do need some help from you guys.

First off do you any of you out there run a Kona LD and have any pics ;)

I need to know the following:

What was the original Full Spec?
What was the original colour of the Stem & P2 Forks?
What is the BB size so I can replace the one on the bike?
What were the original rims? hubs? chain set?

The frame is in pretty good condition really considering the age, 1 major cable rub on the head tube, and a few minor chips. Lots of parts that I'm sure were not on the bike, it has Avid Leavers & V brakes, Rock Shox IndyC (feel smoother than the ones on the Specialized), Stiffy Stem, Odyssey Pedals, and other parts... will be letting these bits go on here when I get a chance, and I'm going to need the parts replaced with original parts ;)

Cheers & thanks for reading, if you know anyone with the following and is up for a trade or cash let me know.

For Starters...

Original P2 Forks in correct colour
Velocity Stem in correct colour
Race Light Seat Post
Race Light Bars

KonaJJ

Konaretro doesn't have the 1996 catalogue unfortunately, but it is on here.

If yours is defo a 1996, then all you need is here:

If it is a differant year, then post up some pics and we'll tell you what you've got :)

kona18.jpg

kona26.jpg

Thats the one Tall Paul, same colour & decals, I see its grey forks & stem ;) cant quite read the spec but thats the one.. can the frame number help?

Imagezoom on firefox does the trick. Which bits of the spec are you after?

Edit: transcription:

Frame Kona Butted Cromoly
Fork Project Two Triple Butted
Headset Impact
Cranks Shimano STX
B/B Shimano LP-26
Pedals LXT Aluminium
Chain Shimano IG-32
F/wheel Shimano IG-30 11-28 7 speed
F/Der Shimano STX
R/Rer Shimano Deore LX
Shiftrs Grip Shift SRT-400 (bloody mid nineties Kona and their bloody Grip Shift!)
Bar Kona Slim Aluminium
Stem Velocity Aluminium
Brakes Curve OM
B/Lever High Command
F/Hub Kona SUS 99
R/Hub Shimano STX
Rims Mavic 238
Spokes 15g front, 14g rear
F/tyre Sniff
R/tyre Scratch
Saddle Selle Italia Expedia
S/post Kona Race Light
Colour Orange Lava
Weight 25.4lbs (hmmm)
Extras Clips/Straps

KonaJJ":pr07m7kz said:
Thats one Tall Paul, same colour & decals, I see its grey forks & stem ;) cant quite read the spec but thats the one.. can the frame number help?

Frame number will only confirm the year of manufacture.

Full Spec:

Headset: Kona Impact
Stem: Kona Velocity
Handlebar: Kona Slim

Brakes: Curve
Brake Levers: Kona High Command

Shifters: Gripshift SRT400
Front Derailleur: Shimano STX
Rear Derailleur: Deore LX
Cassette: IG30 11-28 7sp
Chain: IG31
Cranks: STX

Rims: Mavic 238
Hubs: Kona Front, STX Rear
Tyres: Kona Scratch and Sniff

Saddle: Selle Italia Expedia
Seatpost: Kona Race Light

Guilty! :LOL:

BTW, BB size will be 68mm/whatever spindle length is right for the cranks you are using. If you intend to go to the effort of putting new cranks on there, I'd go something better than STX...

Hey thanks guys, I need the stem & forks & bars for a start, the running gear is correct but worn! it has Avid Digit 7 Brakes Im sure they are better than the original Curve but I want them too (I may have sorted these already)...

What are the bottom brackets like to re-build or are they not servicable?

The original rims were Mavic 238 I have 1x New 238 (need another 1) 231's are on the bike... rear is pretty bad with a few loose spokes..

Back