Just bought a 1988 Peugeot Perthus Pro...

You could always run a 7-of-8 or 8-of-9 setup by binning one ring on the rear cassette of an 8 or 9 speed in order to get it to fit on a 7-speed freehub.

Re: rear end

I'm doing the same with some 600 130mm hubs in a 126mm frame. I fitted a shorter axle and removed an axle spacer......not fitted it yet, so not sure whether i will need to redish...

531 pro":1cf4tw5o said:
I've been pondering about the best way to get a modern hub inside my non-modern frame. I was going to build another set of wheels myself, based around modern ultegra hubs. I notice that beneath the flashy decals they are just normal cup and cone jobs, and that I can loose about 5mm in the left hand spacer that is normally fitted, shortening the axle to take it down from 130mm to 125mm. I also have access to workshop facilities, so I could even thin down the lock nuts a little bit if required. Not sure if that will do the wheel dish many favours, but we'll see. That's the thought at the moment! You are right, i need to be a bit circumspect about this here 753 frame material!

Evening all

Well, the Perthus is up and running - and very very nice it is too! I've currently built it up out of random odds and ends as a kind of 'everyday' racer, and its already taken part in the Barrmill APR road race. It stood up to the rigours of competition far better than I did! I will do a proper restoration at some point, but the chrome and everything makes it a pricey proposition and, to be honest, I just wanted to get out and ride it! Maybe next winter.

Nice, i've always had an irrational fetish for 80's top end peugeots too...hence my newly acquired SLX!

Re: rear end

markyp":x6yhixmu said:
I'm doing the same with some 600 130mm hubs in a 126mm frame. I fitted a shorter axle and removed an axle spacer......not fitted it yet, so not sure whether i will need to redish...

531 pro":x6yhixmu said:
I've been pondering about the best way to get a modern hub inside my non-modern frame. I was going to build another set of wheels myself, based around modern ultegra hubs. I notice that beneath the flashy decals they are just normal cup and cone jobs, and that I can loose about 5mm in the left hand spacer that is normally fitted, shortening the axle to take it down from 130mm to 125mm. I also have access to workshop facilities, so I could even thin down the lock nuts a little bit if required. Not sure if that will do the wheel dish many favours, but we'll see. That's the thought at the moment! You are right, i need to be a bit circumspect about this here 753 frame material!

Shortening a 130mm hub is ok in principle, but it does move the drive side flange very close to the centre line, while moving the nds flange much further from the centre line

this means that the tension balance is skewed very heavily toward the drive side, and you'd probably have to use a *lot* of tension on the drive side to get decent tension on the NDS

Currently running 7 speed exage but have also fitted 126mm axle and 7 speed freehub body onto 105 hub- about to build it into Planet X retro alloy rim. Bike also came with mavic hubs on gp4s which I've put a 7 speed freewheel onto but the exage is slicker shifting.

Re:

I had a Perthus Pro back in the day, absolutely loved it! Great bike. Was totally thrilled when at the Wincanton Classic in 89' I saw pro riders using the same bike (at least the frame anyway).
I love the modern bikes but could no longer do justice to the latest road bikes, if I ever do get a proper road bike again (as oppose to my hybrid(s)) I'd love to go retro...................... and back to my first true love, Peugeot Perthus Pro, Columbus 753R, Shimano 600, you never know :D

I have a blue and white Perthus Pro. Very nice it is too but I had to convert it to single speed on account of the right hand gear boss dropping off!

Latest posts

Back