Just a reminder

Proto2000

Retro Guru
Remember when MTB's came on to the scene? I have a bunch of bikes and always working on something. When one bike was done with what I could do on it I set it next to the one I just worked on. I saw this and was really surprised at the differences in geometry. I hope we can all enjoy both worlds of bikes, course we enjoy the pleasure we get to make the ones we have as close to prefect as we can. I don't have many "new" bikes but occasionally buy to flip newer to fund oldies. Same rear dimensionally, seat tube, but head tube and forks add to a way different bike. Blue bike is a 20 year later SC Chameleon, fore bike is a Fat 1994.

Attachments

• 20240117_175912.jpg
    20240117_175912.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 43
Actually I do like your bikes and would love to take it on a ride!
This is also a bit natural Evolution.

Just in recent years, MTBs seem to get heavy out of shape, more than just Evolution, but maybe a wrong trend and the only way bike industry thinks they can sell new stuff???
But maybe it has just to do with my age, still I can not even imagine ever riding one of those

1000024888.jpg
(not my pic, this was posted somewhere else but just shows the shocking, outrageous dimensions of current sh..)

Last edited:
Agree with both of you. I don't think I can move that bigger than normal bike for long distances and yes, suspension does set the front higher. I was only trying to make a point of what had happened in 20 years after seeing the 2 bikes side by side and lets celebrate the early years. Check the wheelbases on the pic from joglo, gotta be 4" or more. Anyone have an ultra new model bike with the relaxed wheel base? How does it compare to a 1988 bike?

That mondraker does nothing for me at all, not a fan
wouldn't mind a test ride though just to see what it rides like

Back