Joe's (ti_pin_man) Yankee Funk built by me! :)

wadsy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I had the privilege of Joe entrusting me to finish this build off for him :cool:

Now it's completed and hanging in the cave awaiting collection, Joe suggested I post up a build thread.

Given all he'd previously put into it I proceeded with extreme caution!

He'd asked for recommendations for a "decent spanner" (suits me well some might say!) to complete the build and some of the chaps I've done work for before were kind enough to put my name forward :D ...

➡️ recommended bike shop for doing retro bike build stuff

In case you missed Joe's previous (started in 2013!) thread, here it is to complete the story of this frame's journey!...

➡️ Yankee Funk - BEING REBUILT

The frame and parts arrive in the cave...

s5hA99b.jpg

x7bZv9T.jpg

The head-tube was faced and the head-set pressed in, then the frame brake boss threads were chased and studs and washer shims test fitted...

qF6AJ9J.jpg

5aqOc0r.jpg

Only one bush with the Pauls brakes and missing o-rings too, so new ones were ordered from Paul!...

aztwRlR.jpg

O20kdFp.jpg

New ones had some tarnishing, but cleaned up ok...

JBwugrv.jpg

M5blPGP.jpg

Fitted a few parts and the temporary stem...

isyJ1WJ.jpg

BOw0uaf.jpg

m9gnkD8.jpg

YlD4buN.jpg

S1BNrWS.jpg

Steerer tube cut to length/finished and star-nut fitted along with new stem...

cpXgkSF.jpg

FH2HSr3.jpg

FzVbY1M.jpg

Fork brake studs were a little rusty...

ZT0Tq3W.jpg

These were cleaned up and polished...

3aHEHSq.jpg

RC6CYr4.jpg

Brake studs Loctited in...

q3Dme8e.jpg

Brakes ultrasonically cleaned...

L8whFcs.jpg

ECsBTv6.jpg

sC5bktk.jpg

RbtbODz.jpg

Brakes re-assembled/fitted...

aE9MP4v.jpg

The bike cabled up and finished off (just needed rear brake at this point!) Note the full-on Yankee brake set-up!...

KIs99BR.jpg

nWC84Ek.jpg

BgCOQsP.jpg

4n8YNNy.jpg

Wyjqn5Y.jpg

A3OzEY7.jpg

Chillin' in the cave :cool: ....

DsB3hmO.jpg

xcFoo2f.jpg

My thanks to Joe for entrusting me with this rather special frame and to build it up for him :)

Cheers
wad

Last edited:
Wow. I love this but then it is my bike. Wadsy has done a brilliant job helping put this back together. I love this bike but with 3 daughters and manic job I continued to fail to find the time to rebuild it. I can only recommend Wadsy if youre in the same position, he is patient and careful and professional.

For anybody who cant be bothered to read the original 2013 thread, I bought a funk back in 1992 and loved it but then had to trade it in to buy an Ibis. So when I began to look for a new to me, old bike, funk was one of the first choices and I just came across this one. I certainly wasn't looking for a loud frame and strangely bought it from a guy in Leeds. Some research showed it may have come via Germany in its past but it was guesswork as to why it had this paint job. And... with this paint job it let me build something with loud parts and so I did. All my other bikes are ti and mixed with silver and black and green parts, a lot more subtle. Some will love it (the Americans adore it) and some will hate it. I don't really mind haters of its loudness cos (with my other bikes) it wasn't my first choice of colour scheme but it seemed right to maintain it and keep it original.

Thanks Wadsy, cant wait to get it home! The Manitou is coming your way, project number 2.

Re:

Oh my ...that is a real thing of beauty. The paint may be loud but on a Funk it's spot on :D

Back