It was Rich34's '76 Galaxy - now The Dawes Galaxy thread!

I hope nobody minds if I resurrect this thread with the C1982 Super Galaxy I bought from here at the start of the year. It's just going to be a general tidy up so it doesn't really merit its own thread.

P1050701 by RichardB5, on Flickr

This is it looking mostly as it did when I got it, except I added the pump and tool bag after getting a puncture on my first outing.

Road Closed by RichardB5, on Flickr

This is it after a bit of fettling. I've cleaned up the stems, chainset, mudguard, back brake and cleaned off the film of muck that had collected around these parts. I've also fitted a pair of Lyotard pedals, maybe not appropriate but I find them easier to use in town. I might put the quill pedals back on when I start taking it on longer runs. I've also fitted the rack from a Raleigh Royal, which I plan to paint to match the frame if I can get the right colour.

Since that second picture was taken I've fitted a back wheel to match the front, and used a Maillard 32-13 6 speed freewheel that I had in the shed because I felt that I could do with a slightly taller top gear. That gives me a comically short 25.3" first gear.

The next job will be to fit a more suitable front mech. The current one is for a much fatter tube and doesn't have a built-in cable stop so the outer cable slides round the bottom bracket when you shift. Would a Suntour Compe-V cope with a triple? If not I might sack off the granny ring, the 30.4" first gear on the middle ring should be plenty.

Re:

That's really nice. They are such capable bikes. I'd keep the granny ring just for giggles. Near vertical slope? No problem...

I learned two things this morning- 1: I have a Compe-V I didn't know about and 2: it will cope with a triple, and then some. I fitted Suntour Power Shifters and a Vx at the same time, having spent some time last night making a good long-cage Vx out of some bits I had lying around. The Vx doesn't quite have the wrap to get the top two gears on the granny ring but I've never used them anyway.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Here's mine. It's I think from around 1984.
I suspect most won't like it as I stripped the paint and just wanted a simple,plain looking bike for once.... I love it :)

Also did some almarc style bar covers for it

Cheers

Richard

Attachments

• DSCF0034.jpg
    DSCF0034.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 726
  • DSCF0033.jpg
    DSCF0033.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 726
That does look nice, exactly the same frame as mine I think. That style of covering on the bars always looks great, but I suspect it wouldn't if I tried it.

What tyres have you got on there? I'm looking for 27 x 1 1/8 tyres that aren't Continentals or £££.

@Goldie, many thanks. I don't' really like stickers and decals, so I thought I'd keep this one plain :)

@BobToo, Many thanks again. The tyres came from Bankrupt bike parts off eBay, as did the chromed forks.
I don't think they've got the exact ones anymore, but these are close. They're 27 x 1 1/4", which should fit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-2-27-X-1 ... 2ed21ed7ca

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-27-x-1-1 ... 99b9c36fd5

As for the bar covering, I thought I'd have a go. You do need a lot of patience, and I had to restart more than once, but when you get going it's not hard. The most difficult bit was cutting around the boss for the brake levers! I got there in the end and am chuffed with the result.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

14195916338_42855f4658_o.jpg

Long term project. This is my girlfriend's 1970s Galaxy that, to become a proper work bike, needs updating. Questions to follow. So far I've fitted proper " working " brake levers instead of the safety-deathtraps in the piccie, 8 speed indexed barcon shifters ( obviously set to friction at the moment ) and I know I have to respace the rear end from 125mm out to 132.5mm and fit something like 70-80mm caliper drop brakes when I fit the modern 700c wheels and fit a moo-hassive 127mm bb when I go with a modern-ish and triple chainset:

Question. Am I missing anything? Is there anything else I should be doing to the frame?

mrcpea, that is bloody gorgeous. Not sure I could cope with all that white but looks stunning.

Not a Galaxy, but doing up an Horizon at the moment. I used to have a 1980s Super Galaxy but it got written off in an accident.

Back