Is Retrobike.co.uk addictive.......?

tintin40":3f433ybf said:
Those roadies are so jealous. Of us having so much fun.

Mmm... that's a pretty audacious statement, especially in the US, considering people dump a retarded amount of money on their road, TT, and tri equipment. While we might have opinions on how much 'fun' we have riding our bikes, I can say with a fair amount of certainty the roadies are jealous of no one other than than the guy next to him with the lighter, more aero sh*t beating him up the hill.

Mountain bikes, especially today's FS crap jobs, are intimidating and confusing. Mountain biking is hard whereas road biking is is easier to learn, even more easier to master, and is a better workout over a shorter period of time.

addicted

jones you have hit it right on the head their for me, have been checking out loads of peoples galleries looking at stuff i had forgotten was out there and fell foul of that a couple of times already. the middleburn chainset was one for me as well. had to get a new one though and had to get slickshift rings as well and of course they had to be hardcoat on top of that and before i knew it i was £240 down!. also i feel now that i have to have a Klein Attitude or Adroit. 19inch/large. doesnt have to be very retro but pre trek would be good so if anyone wants to part with one.......

ameybrook":15ny12pg said:
I think an interesting question this brings up, is would you be as interested / maniacal about collecting / restoring VRC bikes and parts without this website?

Me? Probably not.

It puts me in to a peer group i would not otherwise have. My friends feel no emotion about older bikes, they are all lusting after the latest Scott and Cannondale. At best my bike is 'quirky' in their eyes.

Here people compliment it and have bikes i in turn lust after. If i didn't visit this sight i would have less motivation to perfect my bike and would have no access to other retro items to lust after them.

Prime example; swapping a perfectly good USE post for a Syncros one because it matches my stem (and you said i should :oops: ).

I feel forced to look every two hours incase someone sells some thing I like the look of/need/can't afford. though someone is usually there before me

like a drug

must..stay.. away

Its an interesting place, good people to have a chat with, and bit of a niche hobby really. Measured in 100's of members worldwide :)

I´ve been here for 1 month or so, but the "bug" already bite me. As Gump wrote, it´s an interesting place, with good people. I really feel confortable to stay here searching for information, reading and writing opinions, remembering some things i used and some other i dreamed to own, back in those days. Lot´s of good info in these pages.

It´s really addictive...

I feel forced to look every two hours incase someone sells some thing I like the look of/need/can't afford. though someone is usually there before me

Me too but how frustrating is it when everything's too big. Where are all the 12.5" Zaskars!! Heck, even the tiny midschool jump bikes on the 'bay are too long - swear I've shrunk since the 90s.

looks at Fire Mountain primed for ebay and goes off to sulk :(

Very, very addictive. How many times in the last 18 months or so have I felt that I had all my cycling needs covered? At one point I had a 'perfect' quiver of 5 bikes and no need for more. I'm currently at 12 and can offer no rational explanation.

Examples:
1) I got a singlespeed originally as my filthy weather bike. I now have another singlespeed for when I don't want to get the other one too dirty.

2) My wife told me in a moment of insight that I bought bikes to deal with my insecurity. This made me feel really awful, so much so that I'd bought (and specced in my head) another bike wiyhin 90 minutes.

3) A kind forummer offered a free frame to a good home. I didn't sleep well at night as different spec options flitted through my mind, componded by thoughts of a respray

But then as the great Diana Ross once sang "if there's a cure for it, I don't want it"

Latest posts

Back