IOW off road rides

Marcus W

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am planning a ride on the IOW this weekend looking at 50 odd miles with a pub lunch and B + B saturday - I get the feeling that there maybe more pints than miles on the Sunday! However does anyone know how / where I can get off road routes etc or know of any for this distance from Cowes.

We will be on retro bikes if anyone chances upon us blue 1990 GT Team avalanche and purple Kona AA.

Best bet is to get yourself an OS explorer map and just pick a trail, there's so many nice one's it'd be too hard to say where you should go, if you're going to be based in Cowes a good idea is find the cycle track to Newport (middle of the island) and go in any direction from there, maybe something like head west on 1 day towards Freshwater covering Chillerton, Brighstone, and Mottistone downs (trails regularly featured in the IOW RB rides) and then head east of Newport on the second day covering the St georges, arreton and Brading downs.

EDIT: Be prepared for MUD!!!

good weekend

We took your advice and got an OS map. However we also used the CAMRA website to navigate by also! We to Ryde went round to bembridge off road and over Brading down then in Niton a B and B, the White Lion became our 2nd home that night!

Next morning down to St Catherine's light house and the killer hangover made the ride up hill from that seem an age!

Another trip will be planned for soon. A great place -

50 miles on and off road
4 punctures!
no breakages.

Attachments

• IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 772
  • IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 772
Glad to hear you had a good time :cool:

I went out on the Tennyson trail going west from Newport today, the hills in the distance in the middle of this picture is what you would have ridden over to get to St Catherine's :LOL:

2012-10-12_12-55-24_509.jpg

Back