Who’s riding road bikes these days?

La Loire is very special to me...family lived in Amboise.....you've either just passed or heading that way! Love that river Ive seen it raging and almost bursting its banks and also just once crossed it on foot in shallow water when it was near dry.
Enjoy....I'm jealous right now! 👍
Got back from France yesterday :(

I don't think it surprises me that modern bikes aren't appreciated here. It is a retro bike forum, after all :D

It's been a while since I did a sportive, but there were always groups of riders that took it very seriously. Usually club riders in club kit. London Dynamos and Dulwich Paragons seem to stick in my mind, but probably only because they were local clubs.

I'd say weekend riding over my way, west of London, is still on the rise. Numbers seem to be constantly on the way up across the board. I'm definitely seeing more and more female riders solo, paired up and riding in groups, in full kit. This is such a positive thing. Go back 10 years and I think all the female riders I knew were regular riders but did everything on their on daily bikes and I think it's a good thing to see them now on weekend rides. Same goes for non-white riders. For a while, a lot of riders you saw were overly-competitive, shouty white males (giving the rest of us a bad name). It's nice to see a decent mix now.

Age-wise, if I had to generalise... Kids and teenagers over my way are on mountain bikes and mostly interested in doing wheelies and being a pain in the ass. I think it's unlikely they'll still be riding bikes after they're old enough to ride mopeds and drive. I see a handful of 20-somethings commuting during the week, usually on pretty low-end bikes. Weekend riders are generally a bit older and mostly out in full kit and more expensive bikes. I'm definitely in the minority on a classic bike and I don't think I've ever seen anyone else in vintage kit. Definitely never seen anyone else commuting in vintage kit.
I'd like to see those young ones being introduced to bike parks, enduro/ trail, etc. Who knows, maybe 10% of them are actually talented and get the bug and will ride mtb's properly. But if the area where they live doesn't invest/ support in these activities... I think a pump track should be just as popular like football pitches.

Two years ago I bought a new bottom line Honda Ranger ATV. It cost less than a midrange $5000 mountain bike. It has 4 big tires, a motor, lights, charging system, battery, drive shaft, transmission, clutch and surround shrouds. There is no way any new bicycle should cost more than this Honda. You can buy a new double side by side ATV for less than a top end bike. That’s just wrong. I bought a set of vintage motorcycle levers for half of what a set of vintage bicycle levers cost. Bike parts are way too pricy. Also, bike components will not last 20 years, like my Honda, as they wear out fast. You can’t buy a good bicycle for $500 anymore, like in the 90s, or the $500 adjusted for inflation today. Good bicycles could always be purchased for the $500 standard inflation adjusted cost from 1900 to 1995. Yeah, their better now, but a 1995 bike was much better than one in 1900 or 1930 or 1950, all the while the cost was stable. It’s become somewhat of an eletist activity for anyone even semi serious. The rest make due with junk big box stuff that are unsatisfying to ride so they can’t see any money in getting a better one.

Two years ago I bought a new bottom line Honda Ranger ATV. It cost less than a midrange $5000 mountain bike. It has 4 big tires, a motor, lights, charging system, battery, drive shaft, transmission, clutch and surround shrouds. There is no way any new bicycle should cost more than this Honda. You can buy a new double side by side ATV for less than a top end bike. That’s just wrong. I bought a set of vintage motorcycle levers for half of what a set of vintage bicycle levers cost. Bike parts are way too pricy. Also, bike components will not last 20 years, like my Honda, as they wear out fast. You can’t buy a good bicycle for $500 anymore, like in the 90s, or the $500 adjusted for inflation today. Good bicycles could always be purchased for the $500 standard inflation adjusted cost from 1900 to 1995. Yeah, their better now, but a 1995 bike was much better than one in 1900 or 1930 or 1950, all the while the cost was stable. It’s become somewhat of an eletist activity for anyone even semi serious. The rest make due with junk big box stuff that are unsatisfying to ride so they can’t see any money in getting a better one.
Amen. And I say that as a person that does not own a motorised vehicle of any shape or form.

Absolutely, spot on buddy

I went to a Ducati dealer the other day (they sell pedal bikes too) mtb vs motorcycle side by side, it really is an eye opener.

I didn’t buy either 😂

I went to a Ducati dealer the other day (they sell pedal bikes too) mtb vs motorcycle side by side, it really is an eye opener.

I didn’t buy either 😂
Yeah, I just looked up bar end plugs for my road bike. Cheap junky plastic is $10 then they go up to $30. I wonder if they come with a bicycle, ha ha. So, tomorrow I’m going to the gravel pit down the road to pick used shotgun shells off the ground. I’ll use the brass ends for plugs. I can’t remember if 12, 16 or 20 gauge fit. I think it’s 16 gauge. I’ll get all sizes. Whatever size fits will be free and better than what they want for the real deal. I did this years ago so I know one of them fits. A little silicone sealer may be required to get them to stay put. Various used pistol and rifle brass from the gravel pit can be found that fits over valve caps. You just have to find the round that fits. Rifle rounds need to be cut shorter. Some beer bottle caps and silicone can be used as pedal dust caps. Cheap, cheap, I’ll show them.

By plugs you mean handlebar plugs? Are shotgun shells circa 20mm? Genuine question, I have no experience

Last edited:
Back