Who’s riding road bikes these days?

By plugs you mean handlebar plugs? Are shotgun shells circa 20mm? Genuine question, I have no experience
Yes, handlebar plugs. I’ll see if I can take a photo tomorrow of my bike that I already used them in. 16 gauge is approx 16mm and 12 gauge is 18 to 20mm in diameter. Perhaps I need 12 gauge for my plugs.

Last edited:
Spokes are 14to 16 gauge and they are about 2mm. Are there different gauge measurements?

It's not a true measurement gauge. It's based on a way to calculate how much lead was needed to make shot for smooth-bore weapons.
It's something like how many rounds of the barrel diameter can be cast from a pound of lead, so the smaller the number the wider the barrel.

And they'll be a lot heavier than plastic plugs
If you leave the plastic body on then about 3 g heavier ...remove it...hmmm my scales can't tell the difference 😆
12 gauge are circa 20.65 mm so it'll depend on how think wall your bars are.

I'm obviously missing the point
I thought you were going to make a plug by softening and moulding lead shot. Obviously not

You need 16 gauge for the best fit. 12 is a little too big, 20 gauge slips all the way in. 16 gauge is not used much now so there were none on the ground at the gravel pit. I’ll get some when I go to bird camp, some of the guys use 16. I used a little silicone to hold the 20s in place. I use double foam wrap for my arthritic fingers so the bar tape won’t fit inside, I just want to keep the dirt and water out. Good enough. 41484062-03AD-463B-895A-B22873F6DF00.jpeg
How about old fashioned rubber heater hose for grips, or as a replacement for worn out rubber foot rest motorcycle peg covers. Rubber hose is reinforced with cotton so it lasts a long time under your foot. 3AD9024D-E110-4007-BB4F-AAED62284A3B.jpeg 08FA8511-287D-4EFD-85B7-277BE906ECF6.jpeg
Brass pistol casing. 769C66D0-5509-41EA-BF6E-0C8DBA979766.jpeg
And, beer cap dust covers. 6E32BFFB-2371-4CAE-9F32-5F14B297013E.jpeg
This all helps keep cost down. It’s so expensive to ride. When junking a bicycle I keep and recycle some cables and inner tubes as part of a build or to fix a bike. It’s still too expensive, I think the high cost is keeping people away from starting to road ride. Mountain Bikes are in now and I think most people can only afford one bicycle or don’t have storage for multiple bicycles.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back