52575742103_df0f71a0b8_b.jpg

52574744627_e0aa198f8d_b.jpg

52574743297_5d36fce52f_b.jpg

52575663235_4daa5b79d9_b.jpg

52575206706_66100690e7_b.jpg

52575738473_9d66d41f20_b.jpg

52574744247_0390a42cb7_b.jpg

-

Finally got this frame built up and rideable.. ended up taking off more of the paint as the pink was starting to annoy me. Mad Max kinda vibes but enjoyed the ride home last night. Stem cable guide needs some work but kinda works for now.

Waiting on some titanium flat bars and some black inner cable housing to wrap the exposed cables. Gonna also get rid of the slick on the front and fit the matching rear tyre soon, but can see myself enjoying the slicks in the summer when it's less wet out.

Anywyas, Bottom Bracket shell is truly fucked so will need to be sorted by Winston at some point as all the threadless bb's I have are the wrong taper for the cranks and these just about work
Man, that looks superb, the black group set really makes the frame the standout feature - the patina looks beautiful - almost exaggerated and gives the bike a style and grace which I haven’t seen before in a bike with degraded paint - the pink accents also give it some sparkle

Last edited:
@Mod-Master I get you completely! Tried very hard to get the right levels of everything

@27motorhead Respray prob next year maybe. Not sure anymore but it prob deserves it.
The pink was great but the last thing I need is another loud bike. I have a Flourescent pink and metallic purple Rourke which is usually by daily ride but need something I don't have to worry about locking up around town which is why I was wasn't fussed to keep the Roberts decals. Those who know will know and prob check the head tube ha.

@Imlach haha! Maybe next year or the year after.. but I think it needs at least a proper sandblast to start fresh again.

Man, that looks superb, the black group set really makes the frame the standout feature - the patina looks beautiful - almost exaggerated and gives the bike a style and grace which I haven’t seen before in a bike with degraded paint - the pink accents also give it some sparkle
Theres lots of forced patina/ratty examples online but def doesn't have the samevibe. With the help of a metal worker next door to my workshop we worked out a method that worked to get the patina consistent and visually appealing made a concious effort to not go too over the top and keep it quite artistic with the layers and finishes. Scrapyard camo is what we called it in the end :)

Scrapyard camo!

I love that.

And this bike.

Can't wait to see it with the finishing touches, especially matching tires!

I do hate to think of it getting a repaint tho! ;)

Perhaps it deserves a slightly fancier, yet still workhorse XT group slung on it, but that's just me being picky!

A black Turbo would really seal the deal, too.

Oh yeah, and that noodle on the newly added cable guide surely needs shortening a tad? Pulling the cable at all sorts of strange angles!

Scrapyard camo!

I love that.

And this bike.

Can't wait to see it with the finishing touches, especially matching tires!

I do hate to think of it getting a repaint tho! ;)

Perhaps it deserves a slightly fancier, yet still workhorse XT group slung on it, but that's just me being picky!

A black Turbo would really seal the deal, too.

Oh yeah, and that noodle on the newly added cable guide surely needs shortening a tad? Pulling the cable at all sorts of strange angles!
Agree with the Turbo
But the LX black and stealth just goes !!

In an alternative universe - if this was given to me as a kingly gift and then If I were to change anything it’d be the forks colour - I know they’re original and same former colour and patina as the frame - but the frame is which stands out and the forks somehow look grey and get lost in it - but that’s just me and then again that’s looking at the photos - in person I think it’s a different feel and view entirely so ignore me

Last edited:
Interesting build juice.bikes,
I'm gathering bits for my 1988 White Spider restoration, the frame is to be Metallic pink (I saw another white Spider in that colour a few years ago).
Any idea what the original colour was called, was it a custom mixed pink?
At the moment the chap who's going to paint my frame is working with photos of pink White Spiders that we have found online, including the ones from your bike that were used on the Ebay ad. to approximate a colour match.

Cheers
Andy

Gonna get some up to date pictures soon. I would love a fancier group and it would def deserve it but for now the stealth wins and unless it stops working it will stay. Very reluctant to spend any more on it as the idea was always a cheap runaround.

Tried turbos but wasn't a fan of the sores after a few hours haha

The forks got a bit too cooked while we worked out what was the best technique for the frame but it def needed a bit more pink to tie it all in. I might paint it black at some point but not sure. The nds looks way better annoyingly but suppose if you're lucky to see it in person you'll enjoy it

Interesting build juice.bikes,
I'm gathering bits for my 1988 White Spider restoration, the frame is to be Metallic pink (I saw another white Spider in that colour a few years ago).
Any idea what the original colour was called, was it a custom mixed pink?
At the moment the chap who's going to paint my frame is working with photos of pink White Spiders that we have found online, including the ones from your bike that were used on the Ebay ad. to approximate a colour match.

Cheers
Andy
I believe quite a few Roberts have been painted in this metallic light pink over the years. What you can see in most photos is a faded version of it but around the front mech hanger area and inside the stays is more the original pink which you can see featuring on the Roberts on this website - https://www.thespoken.cc/roberts-strada

Look forward to seeing yours repainted !

Back