Indian Arrow MTB from 1993

Ganimed

Devout Dirtbag
Hi @ all 👋

Wanna show you my 1993 Indian Arrow MTB.

German MTB pioneer Juergen Brand created Indian bikes in 1991 but in 1993 he gets in conflict with the motorcycle company "Indian" because J. Brand not only illegally used the name of the motorcycle manufacturer without any licence, but also the exact same name lettering on the decals. After a court case, it was agreed that the name should be changed from "Indian" to "Independent", and from the end of 1993 Brand sold his bikes under the new brand-name "Independent". So my bike dates back to before the name change.
Indian-93-08.JPG

Lets look what's inside the box 🤔
Bild3812.jpg
There he is, the Indian Arrow and also a nice Syncros shim bar and (surprisingly) a Tune AC11 titanium bottom bracket were also included to the set that cost me only 65 Euros in total. 😎
Bild3830.jpg
But the frame was in very poor shape. That couldn't be left like that.
Bild3816.jpg
So...
Bild3835.jpg
After 4 hours of hand polishing the frame looks nearly brand new now....
Bild3842.jpg
Bild3858.jpg
So lets start building it up.
Bild3914.jpg
to be continued...

Olli

The Syncros shim bar was in good shape so I decided to use em for the built up project
Bild3870.jpg
Brake levers and shifters were also found quickly
Bild4055.jpg
Bild4060.jpg
The bike is slowly taking shape...
Bild4066.jpg
Bild4137.jpg
Topline PBC cranks. They look awesome with these black XT m735 chainrings :cool:
Bild4146.jpg
Bild4260.jpg
Bild4277.jpg
Bild4279.jpg
Bild4087.jpg
to be continued...

Last edited:
I made a new head badge sticker for the steerer tube 🤠
Bild5179.jpg
Salsa lip lock seat clamp... not realy retro but nice ;)
Bild4156.jpg
almost ready... only chain and cables missing
Bild4152.jpg
Now it is ready for a ride...
Bild4172.jpg
Bild4199.jpg
Bild4196.jpg
Bild4197.jpg
Bild4189.jpg
Bild4169.jpg
Headset is an Onza Mongo UFO in 1 1/8, Bottom Bracket: Syncros Pro series Ti. Topline Mountain Crank Set, Mavic 231CD rims, Gorilla Brake Boosters, Cable Hangers by Ultimate Machine, Fast Feather Ti skewers, Selle Bassano ModularT saddle, Ritchey Z-Max Kevlar tires, Answer Logo Grips....

Hope you like it ;)

regards
Olli

Last edited:
Cool bike, Olli!

Built it up quickly too, and clean :cool:.. Curious to hear how it rides!
Thanx mate :)

I had a certain concept in mind from the start. I wanted to build it mostly silver with a few black parts for contrast and a little bit of purple. Already had certain parts in mind, like Ritchey Logic brake levers in silver/black etc.

It drives great. Everything shifts cleanly and precisely. The bike rides almost like a racing bike due to the rather high gear ratio (48-12). You sit very stretched out on the bike, thanks to the long stem (150mm). I prefer a stretched sitting position and the flattest possible stem angles. The steering behavior is also very exact and precise. It's just fun to drive. It particularly likes forest paths and gravel paths.

Had another Indian Arrow in 17 inch 20 years ago. This bike was also great but a little small for me to ride it properly.
KIF_0243.jpg
Regards
Olli

That’s lovely! Never seen one of those before. 👍
Thank you too 🙂

I had already thought that these Indian bikes would be pretty much unknown in the UK. I think these bikes and also the later Independent branded bikes were never sold further than maybe to Austria or the Netherlands.

But they were really nice bikes and equipped to a high standard.
Indian-93-02.JPG
There was also a cool kids bike in the catalogue
Indian-93-07.JPG
They also had a racing team back then. The Team used the Indian Arrow frame in races.
Indian Team-bike.jpg

Regards

Olli

Latest posts

Back