1993 Marin Indian Fire Tail - Childhood Dream Bike

racer x

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
And Here is my Marin I’ve always lusted after And dreamt about having one day a 1993 size Small medium 16inch Marin Indian Fire Trail

I brought this frame after a old love back 1992 for the Marin Indian Fire Trail after having a demo ride back then just before the uk got these 1993 marins in for sale. and I remember fulling in love straight away with the mega oversize polished tubes for the time just like an Alpinstars and all the super clean shimano Deore XT group set lashed all over It .to be honest I wished I had brought it back in the day it looked and felt that good on that demo ride

so here it is Now all these years later .it’s going to be a slow build as I’ve not done one for some time. But it not going be full original spec build. just a nice fun spec the way I’d build it As normal lol a Kind of 1993 team FRS spec but in a hard tail version but with a full 1993 -94 only component spec custom build the way I’d like it. so here it is let’s and see what happens also the bike won’t be full show room spec or finish it with be how it would look now after all these years if it was pulled out a loft or shed I’m not after show room condition lol

the frame has a missing rear brake mount boss and I can’t tell if it’s damaged threads or snapped off till I look at it properly on the none drive side .So it could need a repair and find the missing brake boss and thread size

when I build this Marin up I’m trying to build it up totally with parts from 1993 to 1994 or older when it’s finally finished with only parts you could buy or have in the shops or see out the mags back then. 1995 would be the absolute maximum On this build . here it is as it stands in the photo

i was having a quick look though some of the 1993 mbuk magazines for components and I didn’t know realise till the other day you could buy this Marin Indian fire trail as a frame only option from some bike shops

let get collecting parts and building
D9AE448B-2155-4B44-B8E9-2E4C3666A28A.jpeg

Last edited:
I hope the canti stud is just missing, they just wind out like any other threaded.

You wont have to throw too much doar at it, to get it working well.
From memory, i used LX and sugino.

Providing you keep the outline 'mariny' then you will get away without a full catalogue build. Any suspension forks to be from that period and, a roller stem. All good!

PICT0068.JPG

Man yours is nice mate. I hope I can do it justice

im hoping it’s just the stud that has come out I never took much notice..fingers crossed it’s no stripped threads

Last edited:
Been looking though parts boxes and been picking out the group set parts In the way of Shimano XTR M900 ..I’m planing on leaving some of its original XT in places it would come with as well like Front mech and maybe BB

2E993F6C-1560-4C59-A0B3-D9CE5F37B7F4.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking forward to it. One of my fondest bike memories from the early 90's was riding a mates polished big tubed Marin, never knew what model it was as it was de-stickered, which just showed off the shiney tubes more. Would still like to add one to the fleet.

Thanks mate the same I loved looking at these oversized aluminium bikes back in the day. They just looked totally different to all the narrow tubed steel bikes that was around at the time. Totally refreshing to pick one up and be gob smacked at the weight compared to the others and holding the Chucky tubes lol

Last edited:
6B1AEFD2-F558-403D-BBAF-0BC841653460.jpeg WhooooHooooo Forks have landed. Well finally got round to playing with them really lol

i think this Nice set of Manitou 2 forks should look the part and probably the safest bet for this Marin build..I really also struggled finding a long Ahead steer for this so went threaded but With a threaded to Ahead stem quill adaptor until I can find a quality Quill stem or unless this stems looks the part in black and doesn't Look out of place on the build .

Back