I'm thinking about a new bike again. An hybrid?

I keep thinking about pressing the button on one of those pinnacles. I expect the sale will end soon...

Anyway, I was looking at the Evans site and I saw these:

https://www.evanscycles.com/viking-urba ... e-EV365665
https://www.evanscycles.com/viking-urba ... e-EV365669

Wow... how cheap? The first is hi ten steel... but it looks a bloody neatly put together frame... the second is phenomenal value on paper. I quite like the styling of both frames and the components could be a lot worse.

They get awful reviews which seem to be the result of poor QC in the build stage, and possibly cheap and nasty bbs and headsets. That doesn’t phase me at all as I’d be looking at either as a bit of fun to upgrade along the road.

Have I totally lost the plot? I’m actually tempted... wish I could find a link to geometry - 18 or 20 inch is a bit vague...

No, I must have lost the plot...if they’re as heavy as they seem to be!

OTOH, I can’t quite get my head around the 16kg or more quoted weight. How can they be so heavy? I wonder if changing a few bits would bring them into “reasonably lightweight” or whether the frame and forks are just boat anchors... generally they just don’t look all that different, spec or build wise, to the fairly lightweight pinnacle...

:?

Re:

Er. Well. Um. There's no easy way to break it to you but, yes, you have totally lost the plot. Both bikes have relatively high gearing and one weighs 16kg and the other weighs 16.8kg. That's pretty much the opposite of what you want in a hilly area. Aside from that, hi-ten just doesn't feel nice to ride - like a dead weight; not lively. Stay well clear. Sorry to be blunt - just got to be cruel to be kind sometimes.

Re:

Plot recovered very speedily indeed. Unfortunately the version of the site on my phone didn't show that another post had been added when I hit Submit. FWIW some of my work colleagues have nice hybrids but they're generally £800 or so Whytes or Specializeds bought through Cycle to Work. I'm not sure if there's much below that price point that's up to much. Good luck with the search though.

Latest posts

Back