Ideal home? Yorkshire

Re:

I certainly haven't been everywhere but i'm not sure i'd want to live anywhere else. If you like the outdoors and have a soft spot for a spot of culture and history it really is all here. An enlightened choice is definitely needed with regards to putting roots in the right place but i'm sure the same could be said about anywhere in the country.
Within the Bradford district even the poorest fellow in the most desperate surroundings can travel a mile or two and find themselves in the most glorious settings. I'm not sure the same can be said for many of the other more highly regarded big cities across the country where the urban sprawl goes on and on and on. I look at the enclaves of expensive housing in chic areas within wealthier cities, as nice as they are you often have to wade through grotty and menacing suburbs to navigate your way in and out. I really don't see it as any different, the benefit here is you are not holed up in a gerry built brick box you are most likely settling down in a stone house with 2 foot thick walls which can be bought for the price of a shed further south. If you were bold enough to creep 10 miles across the border to a little industrial town you could probably buy the same thing for 2/3rds of the price.
I don't drive but I can get on the train 5 mins walk from my house and be in York within 50 minutes, Skipton within 15 minutes, manchester within the hour, leeds within 20 minutes. The peak district in an hour or so, I could be riding the 3 peaks within 40 minutes if I wanted to. We are within spitting distance of Gisburn forest and Stainburn if you like your trail centres. You could be riding the north yorks moors within minutes. Theres lots of good bike shops in the area. Plenty of clubs and music venues nearby, loads of good local breweries. I jump on the train to leeds market and get my fruit and veg 4 times cheaper and riper than at the supermarket. We have a big (cheap) 3 day music festival at the bottom of our road, a massive fireworks night in november, a 2 day agricultural fair if you like touching goats, all in the park in Bingley.
I like it here, it's a good place to be.

Re:

I like the sound of that mister. Definitely have to recce the are on our hols this year.
Riding, music and proper built houses, not expensive, ugly cube shaped 'pods' that seem to spring up when someone spots an undeveloped space the size of a wheelie bin.

Mike

Re:

Hi,

Well, I guess I have to weigh in with my views since it's my home area we're talking about.

I was brought up in and around the area, and worked for many years for a local house builder that never seemed to work anywhere except for within the Aire Valley, and still know the area like the back of my hand.

There are an awful lot of issues within the areas of Bradford and its various suburbs, with around Keighley being amongst the worst. But, conversely, most of the little town and villages around don't suffer any of the issues of Keighley - just two miles separate it from Haworth or Oakworth, yet they couldn't be worlds apart. It does have the most wonderful countryside, and I would move back in a heart beat, even given the issues that everyone has mentioned.

I would say, I wouldn't want to move into the town of Keighley, but, move on up the valley, into the likes of Crosshills and further up towards Skipton, and from there onwards you are really into Gods country.

There are a few large freight companies up there, JODA freight maybe being the largest who are based in Crosshills. There are also a huge amount of stone haulage companies who serve the limestone quarries further up the valleys above Skipton.

If you want any info about anything, let me know.

James

Racism was rife where I grew up in South Yorkshire - even though there weren't many non-whites around for it to be aimed at.

Parents, kids, problem was the same. Those kids are the parents of today. Some of them grew out of it. Some didn't.

Sadly you will bump into Neanderthals wherever you go in the world. And they are noisier than normal people.

Re: Re:

Sailingjab1976":34y6x8x7 said:
Hi,

Well, I guess I have to weigh in with my views since it's my home area we're talking about.

I was brought up in and around the area, and worked for many years for a local house builder that never seemed to work anywhere except for within the Aire Valley, and still know the area like the back of my hand.

There are an awful lot of issues within the areas of Bradford and its various suburbs, with around Keighley being amongst the worst. But, conversely, most of the little town and villages around don't suffer any of the issues of Keighley - just two miles separate it from Haworth or Oakworth, yet they couldn't be worlds apart. It does have the most wonderful countryside, and I would move back in a heart beat, even given the issues that everyone has mentioned.

I would say, I wouldn't want to move into the town of Keighley, but, move on up the valley, into the likes of Crosshills and further up towards Skipton, and from there onwards you are really into Gods country.

There are a few large freight companies up there, JODA freight maybe being the largest who are based in Crosshills. There are also a huge amount of stone haulage companies who serve the limestone quarries further up the valleys above Skipton.

If you want any info about anything, let me know.

James

I live in Skipton and agree with this 100%. Keighley wouldn't be my choice although it does have some better areas. You need to be very careful when choosing though. I played Rugby in the Keighley area for years. The people can be rough and hard but if you get in with them they are some of the warmest people you'll meet with a strong sense of community within their section of the town. Plenty of rivalries but I never had any trouble as they sort it out between themselves.

As mentioned there's plenty of 'better' places to live nearby but the further you head towards Skipton and North Yorks the higher the prices go. Check out Silsden, Crosshills, Glusburn, Sutton, Cononley, Cowing, Bradley and Skipton. Earby and Barnoldswick (Where Hope come from) are not much further away and miles cheaper due to being over the Lancashire border. I wouldn't consider going any closer to Bradford then Keighley unless you're looking in the Wilsden/Harden area.

Feel free to contact me if you want any more information. :D

Re:

Thanks for all your replise fellas, ;)

We'll be looking at areas with a view to moving when we go on our hols in July. This is for a permanent move BTW, not a holiday home or stop gap.
It will be interesting what we find.

Mike

Permanent move? Sounds ominous.

How about the Highlands?

There is God's Country, as in belonging to God.

Then there is the Highlands, as in heavens, where he actually lives.

highlandsflyer":1bmivawd said:
Permanent move? Sounds ominous.

How about the Highlands?

There is God's Country, as in belonging to God.

Then there is the Highlands, as in heavens, where he actually lives.

Yes mate, permanent.
We like the quiet life, countryside, peace and tranquility.
I met Mrs Muz in '08, she moved in last year, so now we want to live somewhere that suits our needs more. Currently live on the south coast of England, Worthing, near Brighton, East Sussex.
We don't like the beach, shopping, hustle and bustle and general speed of life here. Everyone has to be somewhere fast :roll:
Also, somewhere nice to ride, (hilly) on or off-road would be good. For me at least! :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

Back