Ideal home? Yorkshire

Yorkshire folk have been having a go at lancashire since the war of the roses and its all in fun. Im going over there on holliday as soon as my passport comes through.I will take the best road in to Lancashire( its the one that comes back into Yorkshire.)Its gone on for years.Totally meaningless .They are a grand lot of people.I am amazed anyone would take the banter seriously. Usually they give as good as they get. If anyone is getting serious over that they need to get real.Mike. Dont mention that you are a southerner.Thats worse than coming from Lancashire.We have a dry sense of humour and we tend to go in for serious sounding banter. Take it all with a pinch of salt.There is a smile behind that banter.Once you have got the hang of it you will be as bad as the rest of us.Oh ,and dont forget you will need a yorkshire passport
Peter

I lived *near* to Hebden Bridge, and only for 16 months, the rest of the time was in Leeds (6 addresses in 9 years) and I visited family and spent time in Bradford, Ilkley and Bingley - the latter two perhaps being more genteel than Keighley and Skipton I'll freely admit.

As mentioned above the Yorkshire/Lancashire rivalry has been going on for a long time, neither factor truly believe it holds any malice, nor do most understand why it came about but both deal with it with typical northern wit and grit.

I'm sorry other members here didn't get on with it, but not everyone will enjoy living everywhere, and obviously the people make a big difference, but then there's nowt as queer as folk.

Re:

To be honest the Lancs/Yorks rivalry is all on the east of the Pennines. I have lived in Lancs for 45 years and had Yorkies working with me over here and it never gets mentioned but cross the border and it flares up. For info I worked at YBS headquarters and it was very insular and a shame to behold. And before anyone starts I have worked all over the UK and only noticed it there.

Still does not mean anything. We need the two counties to get together and go independant. Put some toll gates up and make a few quid from the north south traffic.

Ollie":2fyob4te said:
If you're a lorry driver County Durham could be ideal. You have Washington on your doorstep which is home to Nissan who has a deal with Stobart, the Zumptobel group and also Fergusons as well as smaller businesses like Dickinsons.
i posted about liveing in Hartlepool
and if you look at house prices 20 grand cheapest to a nice pad round 80 grand
and Durham plus all the north east is a top place to see check out saltymans threads on bikes and
the pics of seaton tynemouth and whitley bay i loved the north east allways somewhere to go
something to do and for a hgv driver there will be loads of work
check out street views on rightmove will give an idea of the area ;)

Ah, Seaton Carew to Hartlepool a great Saturday night ride along the coast in the sunset finished off with fish and chips from the Almighty Cod. Absolute bliss!

House prices in the towns around Durham are good at the mo, If you want a 1980's three bedroom semi in a silent cul-de-sac well my Auntie has the perfect house for sale Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge ;) ...

Re:

I live a few miles down the road from Keighley and can honestly say that most points raised have some validity. Like anywhere it is a place of extremes, there is a lot of wealth up in the hills vs a lot of poverty and squalor in the towns and valley bottoms. There are some of the nicest folk you could ever meet and some of the scrattiest losers. Wages are low but living is cheap, what does it for me is its proximity and easy accessibility to some of the finest open spaces, some of the most beautiful towns and cities and some amazing coastal areas. I can think of places that have more of this and more of that but they generally have far less of everything.

Re: Re:

futuristicoldman":rbnjjoux said:
Oh and if you like cycling you will be in heaven. As long as you aren't soft.

Hi fella

That's first post of yours is about the most useful description so far, thank you.
I may be from the south, but I'm not a softie !
Seems to be a lot of tension unleashed so far mate :facepalm:
Not what I had in mind TBH, just lookng for somewhere nice to live, work and ride

Mike

Back